- "Approximately 12,000 BBY a theocratic conspiracy, centuries in the offing, impeached Chancellor Pers'lya and placed its own man, Contispex, in the seat."
- ―Gabrel Treon, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji: A Cartel of Genes
The year 11,987 before the Battle of Yavin (BBY) was a span of time that featured significant changes in the leadership of the Galactic Republic. A cult of conspiratorial religious zealots known as Pius Dea usurped power over the Republic with the help of a secretive society called the Malkite Poisoners. The zealots impeached reigning Supreme Chancellor Pers'lya and installed the Pius Dea figurehead Contispex I, assassinating the Bothan not long after he was removed from office. The new chancellor, housing Humanocentric beliefs, then unleashed a series of religious-based crusades against alien species and those who worshiped other deities. The rise of the Pius Dea cult marked the end of the Kymoodon Era and the beginning of the Pius Dea Era.
During the years of the Old Republic, the governing body gradually but steadily expanded its boundaries. Most of the settlements, however, were in a wedge-shaped region of space known as the Slice. Aside from occasional protrusions into unknown areas and isolated settlements, most of galactic society lived within the confines of known hyperspace routes and the established hyperlanes. Settlers and explorers, however, continued to search the wild and unexplored areas of the galaxy. In the years leading up to 12,000 BBY, this steady advancement continued. The Supreme Chancellor during this time was the Bothan Pers'lya. At the same time, however, the religious conspiracy-based cult of zealots known as Pius Dea was growing in power. The group held the beliefs of anti-alien Humanocentrism and that followers of other religions were "unbelievers" and idolaters.
The galaxy in 11,987 BBYEdit
- "Here we stand, at the extremity of our exertion, having cast behind us the idols of our fathers, to once again carry to our foe the penalties due their sacrileges. Come perdition or hard vacuum, the Republic expects that every citizen will do his duty."
- ―Supreme Chancellor Contispex, Fourth Inaugural Oration
During that year, Supreme Chancellor Pres'lya became embroiled in an impeachment scandal. The religious and conspiratorial cult Pius Dea, coupled with the assistance of the secret group known as the Malkite Poisoners, led the ousting of Pers'lya and the installation of Pius Dea figurehead Contispex. With Contispex in power, the Pius Dea cult would begin a series of religious-based conflicts known as the Pius Dea Crusades within several years. The beginning of the crusades marked the end of the Kymoodon Era and the beginning of the Pius Dea Era.
- "These gave as good as they got, and 'cold' and 'hot' wars alternated for a thousand years—while the Republic flagellated itself with inquisitions—until Pius Dea rule met its end in that famous encounter which hardly needs retelling here."
- ―Gabrel Treon, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji: A Cartel of Genes
Contispex, as part of Pius Dea, held the belief that alien species and religious-followers were heathen "unbelievers." This view, coupled with the idea that the deities of the non-Human cultures needed to be destroyed, led the chancellor to attack Hutt Space. To some, the Hutts posed a legitimate threat to the Republic. Eventually, however, the Pius Dea crusades turned against other alien species which did not threaten the security of the Republic. Even after the reign of Contispex, Pius Dea controlled the chancellery for about one thousand more years, resulting in a devastating series of crusades. In the end, the crusades caused a rift between the rimward planets and the Core Worlds which would be exploited as late as the Galactic Civil War.
- Supreme Chancellor Pers'lya is impeached and replaced with Contispex I, a member of the Pius Dea religious cult.
Behind the scenesEdit
The reign of Contispex and Pius Dea is first mentioned in The New Essential Chronology with supplemental mentions in The New Essential Guide to Droids and The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia. The circumstances surrounding the installation of Contispex and the Pius Dea crusades were expanded upon in the StarWars.com Hyperspace-published story Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji by Nathan O'Keefe. The Pius Dea era was greatly expanded upon in The Essential Guide to Warfare, which established definite years for many of the events in the era.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Codex entry)
- The New Essential Chronology (First mentioned)
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- The Essential Guide to Warfare (First identified as as 11,987 BBY)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare establishes the endpoints of this era as 15,000 BBY and 11,987 BBY.
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare establishes the endpoints of the era as 11,987 BBY and 10,966 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Volume 2—Prisoner of Bogan establishes the year 36,453 BBY as the date of the Tho Yor Arrival, which is the zero point of the Tho Yor Arrival dating system, meaning the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the TYA year-notation system is 36,453 years. This date is derived from simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology states that the Great Hyperspace War began in 5000 BBY, which is 1,347 BTC in Star Wars: The Old Republic's Galactic Timeline, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the calendar based on the Treaty of Coruscant is 3,653 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology states that the Ruusan Reformation occurred in 1000 BBY, which is the zero point of the calendar based on the Ruusan Reformation, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the Ruusan Reformation's year-notation system is 1,000 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The Essential Atlas places the Battle of Yavin, the zero point in the Galactic Standard Calendar, in 35:3 under the Great ReSynchronization dating system. The Essential Atlas also places the Battle of Selaggis on 43:2:28 and the Battle of Dathomir on 43:3:21. The Essential Guide to Warfare and The Essential Atlas both place the Battle of Dathomir in 8 ABY. The Essential Guide to Warfare also places the Battle of Selaggis in 7 ABY, confirming the placement of the division between each Galactic Standard Calendar year as the third month in the Great ReSynchronization year. Thus, there is a two-month gap between the two dating systems, and the first two months of a GrS year are the last two of the preceding Galactic Standard Calendar year. The Great ReSynchronization was instituted in 35 BBY, so there is a total difference of 35 years and 2 months between the two systems. This article's date is therefore derived from simple math based on this reference explanation.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 The New Essential Guide to Droids
- ↑ The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, entries on Contispex and Pius Dea