The year 12,000 before the Battle of Yavin (BBY) was a span of time that featured continued expansion of Galactic Republic boundaries. Explorers and settlers had been continuously and steadily expanding the boundaries of Republic space in the years prior. Around 12,000 BBY, explorers and colonists from Corellia established a settlement on the planet Ord Mantell, a world in a previously unexplored area of the Mid Rim. There, the settlers created an advanced military outpost.
During the years of the Old Republic, the governing body gradually but steadily expanded its boundaries. Most of the settlements, however, were in a wedge-shaped region of space known as the Slice. Aside from occasional protrusions into unknown areas and isolated settlements, most of the galactic society lived within the confines of known hyperspace routes and the established hyperlanes. Settlers and explorers, however, continued to search the wild and unexplored areas of the galaxy. In the years leading up to 12,000 BBY, this steady advancement continued.
The expansion of the Republic continued around 12,000 BBY as colonists from Corellia continued to explore uncharted space. A group of colonists settled on the Mid Rim world of Ord Mantell. The colonists established an advanced military outpost on the planet for the expanding Republic, even though it was isolated from Republic space by uncharted area. This planet was an Ordnance/Regional Depot (Ord) world whose purpose was to also protect Human colonists in the surrounding systems. Elsewhere, the Ithorians of Ithor had their first contact with the Republic, further expanding the reaches of known space.
- Ord Mantell is settled and established as an advanced military outpost for Old Republic colonists. (Approximate date)
- The Ithorians make contact with Republic space. (Approximate date)
- Alien Anthology (First mentioned)
- The New Essential Chronology
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare establishes the endpoints of this era as 15,000 BBY and 11,987 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Volume 2—Prisoner of Bogan establishes the year 36,453 BBY as the date of the Tho Yor Arrival, which is the zero point of the Tho Yor Arrival dating system, meaning the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the TYA year-notation system is 36,453 years. This date is derived from simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology states that the Great Hyperspace War began in 5000 BBY, which is 1,347 BTC in Star Wars: The Old Republic's Galactic Timeline, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the calendar based on the Treaty of Coruscant is 3,653 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology states that the Ruusan Reformation occurred in 1000 BBY, which is the zero point of the calendar based on the Ruusan Reformation, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the Ruusan Reformation's year-notation system is 1,000 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The Essential Atlas places the Battle of Yavin, the zero point in the Galactic Standard Calendar, in 35:3 under the Great ReSynchronization dating system. The Essential Atlas also places the Battle of Selaggis on 43:2:28 and the Battle of Dathomir on 43:3:21. The Essential Guide to Warfare and The Essential Atlas both place the Battle of Dathomir in 8 ABY. The Essential Guide to Warfare also places the Battle of Selaggis in 7 ABY, confirming the placement of the division between each Galactic Standard Calendar year as the third month in the Great ReSynchronization year. Thus, there is a two-month gap between the two dating systems, and the first two months of a GrS year are the last two of the preceding Galactic Standard Calendar year. The Great ReSynchronization was instituted in 35 BBY, so there is a total difference of 35 years and 2 months between the two systems. This article's date is therefore derived from simple math based on this reference explanation.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 The Essential Atlas