The Shawken Spire
|Approximate dates in other dating systems|
|Facts and statistics|
18,780 before the Battle of Yavin (BBY) was a year in the Galactic Republic's Great Manifest Period. The era, having begun more than 1,000 years earlier, featured growth and settlement out from the Core Worlds and into the Wild Space areas "east" of the galactic center. On the Core planet of Shawken, an iconic edifice that reached low-orbit altitude in the atmosphere was destroyed. The building was later rebuilt and its construction and destruction were honored by the historian Vicendi nearly 9,000 years later.
At least 700 years prior to the founding of the Galactic Republic, the inhabitants of the Core Worlds planet Shawken began a construction project on a new building. This building became known as the Shawken Spire, and during the span of over 7,000 years, it grew evermore towering. All the while, the Republic was established and unified and grew through settlement and annexation during the Expansionist Era and the beginning portions of the Great Manifest Period.
The galaxy in 18,780 BBYEdit
By 18,780 BBY, the Great Manifest Period was more than 1,000 years in the making. The Republic continued its expansion eastward into the uncharted Wild Space areas of what later became "the Slice." In the Core, the Shawken Spire had become a super-tall structure that reached low-orbit altitude. Made of ancient building materials, the building was famous across the known galaxy. The iconic construct, however, met its destruction at this time.
The Great Manifest Period continued for nearly 2,000 more years, as the Republic continued its expansion. On Shawken, the renowned Spire was later rebuilt with more modern materials. The original structure, however, retained its fame and was included in a list of galactic wonders composed by the historian Vicendi in his 10,000 BBY publication Arturum Galactinum.
- The Shawken Spire, a super-tall structure on Shawken that reached low-orbit altitude, was destroyed.
Behind the scenesEdit
The year 18,780 BBY receives its only canonical mention in The Essential Atlas in reference to the destruction of the Shawken Spire. The year, however, is also indirectly referred to by the labeling of the time period known as the Great Manifest Period from 20,000 BBY to 17,000 BBY in the Atlas.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ Simple math was used based upon the dating schemes in The Old Republic timelines.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology states that the Great Hyperspace War began in 5,000 BBY, which is 1,347 BTC in Star Wars: The Old Republic's Galactic Timeline, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the calendar based on the Treaty of Coruscant is 3,653 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The Ruusan Reformation occurred in 1,000 BBY following the Seventh Battle of Ruusan. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology states that the Ruusan Reformation occurred in 1,000 BBY, which is the zero point of the calendar based on the Ruusan Reformation, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the Ruusan Reformation's year-notation system is 1,000 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ This date is derived from simple math based upon the calculation of other dates from the Great ReSynchronization
- ↑ The Essential Atlas states that the Battle of Yavin occurred in year 35, which is the zero point of the BBY/ABY year-notation system, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the Great ReSynchronization's year-notation system is thirty-five years. This date is derived from simple math based upon other confirmed dates.