Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
18,780 before the Battle of Yavin (BBY) was a year in the Galactic Republic's Great Manifest Period. The era, having begun more than 1,000 years earlier, featured growth and settlement out from the Core Worlds and into the Wild Space areas "east" of the galactic center. On the Core planet of Shawken, an iconic edifice that reached low-orbit altitude in the atmosphere was destroyed. The building was later rebuilt and its construction and destruction were honored by the historian Vicendi nearly 9,000 years later.
At least three thousand years prior to the founding of the Galactic Republic, the inhabitants of the Core Worlds planet Shawken began a construction project on a new building. This building became known as the Shawken Spire, and during the span of over 9,000 years, it grew evermore towering. All the while, the Republic was established and unified and grew through settlement and annexation during the Expansionist Era and the beginning portions of the Great Manifest Period.
The galaxy in 18,780 BBYEdit
By 18,780 BBY, the Great Manifest Period was more than 1,000 years in the making. The Republic continued its expansion eastward into the uncharted Wild Space areas of what later became "the Slice." In the Core, the Shawken Spire had become a super-tall structure that reached low-orbit altitude. Made of ancient building materials, the building was famous across the known galaxy. The iconic construct, however, met its destruction at this time.
The Great Manifest Period continued for nearly 2,000 more years, as the Republic continued its expansion. On Shawken, the renowned Spire was later rebuilt with more modern materials. The original structure, however, retained its fame and was included in a list of galactic wonders composed by the historian Vicendi in his 10,000 BBY publication Arturum Galactinum.
- The Shawken Spire, a super-tall structure on Shawken that reached low-orbit altitude, was destroyed.
Behind the scenesEdit
The year 18,780 BBY receives its only canonical mention in The Essential Atlas in reference to the destruction of the Shawken Spire. The year, however, is also indirectly referred to by the labeling of the time period known as the Great Manifest Period from 20,000 BBY to 17,000 BBY in the Atlas.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Volume 2—Prisoner of Bogan establishes the year 36,453 BBY as the date of the Tho Yor Arrival, which is the zero point of the Tho Yor Arrival dating system, meaning the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the TYA year-notation system is 36,453 years. This date is derived from simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology states that the Great Hyperspace War began in 5000 BBY, which is 1,347 BTC in Star Wars: The Old Republic's Galactic Timeline, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the calendar based on the Treaty of Coruscant is 3,653 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology states that the Ruusan Reformation occurred in 1000 BBY, which is the zero point of the calendar based on the Ruusan Reformation, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the Ruusan Reformation's year-notation system is 1,000 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The Essential Atlas places the Battle of Yavin, the zero point in the Galactic Standard Calendar, in 35:3 under the Great ReSynchronization dating system. The Essential Atlas also places the Battle of Selaggis on 43:2:28 and the Battle of Dathomir on 43:3:21. The Essential Guide to Warfare and The Essential Atlas both place the Battle of Dathomir in 8 ABY. The Essential Guide to Warfare also places the Battle of Selaggis in 7 ABY, confirming the placement of the division between each Galactic Standard Calendar year as the third month in the Great ReSynchronization year. Thus, there is a two-month gap between the two dating systems, and the first two months of a GrS year are the last two of the preceding Galactic Standard Calendar year. The Great ReSynchronization was instituted in 35 BBY, so there is a total difference of 35 years and 2 months between the two systems. This article's date is therefore derived from simple math based on this reference explanation.