The year 19,997 before the Battle of Yavin (BBY) was a span of time in the Galactic Republic's Great Manifest Period, an era of expansion by the Republic into the Expansion Region of the Slice. Around this time, the planet Neona underwent a substantial climate change that caused the melting of all of the planet's surface ice. The rising waters marked the extinction of the original planetary natives of Neona.
The Expansionist Era of Galactic Republic history closed three years earlier. The new era, later known as the Great Manifest Period, was an era of expansion and exploration beyond the Core Worlds and the then-known galactic community that was nestled along the Corellian Run and the Perlemian Trade Route. The exploration was begun in the then-termed "Wild Space" area that later became known as the Expansion Region of the Slice. The settlement of these new worlds was sponsored by both the Republic government and the corporate infrastructure. Companies and prosperous planets, such as Coruscant and Corellia, pushed the limits of settlement ever Rimward.
The galaxy in 19,997 BBYEdit
19,997 BBY was a year in the early Great Manifest Period, during which companies and planetary governments pushed the limits of settlement further toward the rim. Around this time in the Tapani sector, although unknown to the broader Republic, the planet Neona underwent a significant climatic shift. The ice caps on the planet melted and began flooding the surface. As the waters rose, all available surface land for non-aquatic species became submerged. The native sentient species became extinct through this event.
The Galactic Republic saw massive expansion into the Expansion Region and broader areas of the Slice as the Great Manifest Period continued. Planets such as Coruscant and Corellia were among the most active and prosperous, striking the ire of rival world Alsakan. This was a principal motivation behind the Alsakan Conflicts almost three thousand years later. At the same time, the corporate-sponsored settlement caused local resources and settlers to be exploited.
In the Tapani sector, Neona remained uninhabited for a time. Eventually, however, business interests discovered the rich ore deposits in the subterranean layers. As the planet was being mined, the ruins of its native species was discovered among the rubble on the sea floor.
- Neona underwent a dramatic climate change which caused the surface to become submerged underwater.
- The sentient species of Neona was driven to extinction as a result of the climate change.
Behind the scenesEdit
The source Lords of the Expanse makes only a passing reference to the native species of Neona and their demise by stating that it took place approximately twenty thousand years before the Battle of Hoth, the date by which the sourcebook was set. While the events on Neona are not mentioned in The Essential Atlas, this source establishes that the Tapani sector was not in contact with the Galactic Republic at the time of the species's extinction.
- Lords of the Expanse (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Lords of the Expanse
- ↑ Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Volume 2—Prisoner of Bogan establishes the year 36,453 BBY as the date of the Tho Yor Arrival, which is the zero point of the Tho Yor Arrival dating system, meaning the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the TYA year-notation system is 36,453 years. This date is derived from simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology states that the Great Hyperspace War began in 5000 BBY, which is 1,347 BTC in Star Wars: The Old Republic's Galactic Timeline, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the calendar based on the Treaty of Coruscant is 3,653 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology states that the Ruusan Reformation occurred in 1000 BBY, which is the zero point of the calendar based on the Ruusan Reformation, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the Ruusan Reformation's year-notation system is 1,000 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The Essential Atlas places the Battle of Yavin, the zero point in the Galactic Standard Calendar, in 35:3 under the Great ReSynchronization dating system. The Essential Atlas also places the Battle of Selaggis on 43:2:28 and the Battle of Dathomir on 43:3:21. The Essential Guide to Warfare and The Essential Atlas both place the Battle of Dathomir in 8 ABY. The Essential Guide to Warfare also places the Battle of Selaggis in 7 ABY, confirming the placement of the division between each Galactic Standard Calendar year as the third month in the Great ReSynchronization year. Thus, there is a two-month gap between the two dating systems, and the first two months of a GrS year are the last two of the preceding Galactic Standard Calendar year. The Great ReSynchronization was instituted in 35 BBY, so there is a total difference of 35 years and 2 months between the two systems. This article's date is therefore derived from simple math based on this reference explanation.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 The Essential Atlas