|Approximate dates in other dating systems|
|Facts and statistics|
The year 19,997 before the Battle of Yavin (BBY) was a span of time in the Galactic Republic's Great Manifest Period, an era of expansion by the Republic into the Expansion Region of the Slice. Around this time, the planet Neona underwent a substantial climate change that caused the melting of all of the planet's surface ice. The rising waters marked the extinction of the original planetary natives of Neona.
The Expansionist Era of Galactic Republic history closed three years earlier. The new era, later known as the Great Manifest Period, was an era of expansion and exploration beyond the Core Worlds and the then-known galactic community that was nestled along the Corellian Run and the Perlemian Trade Route. The exploration was begun in the then-termed "Wild Space" area that later became known as the Expansion Region of the Slice. The settlement of these new worlds was sponsored by both the Republic government and the corporate infrastructure. Companies and prosperous planets, such as Coruscant and Corellia, pushed the limits of settlement ever Rimward.
The galaxy in 19,997 BBYEdit
19,997 BBY was a year in the early Great Manifest Period, during which companies and planetary governments pushed the limits of settlement further toward the rim. Around this time in the Tapani sector, although unknown to the broader Republic, the planet Neona underwent a significant climatic shift. The ice caps on the planet melted and began flooding the surface. As the waters rose, all available surface land for non-aquatic species became submerged. The native sentient species became extinct through this event.
The Galactic Republic saw massive expansion into the Expansion Region and broader areas of the Slice as the Great Manifest Period continued. Planets such as Coruscant and Corellia were among the most active and prosperous, striking the ire of rival world Alsakan. This was a principal motivation behind the Alsakan Conflicts almost three thousand years later. At the same time, the corporate-sponsored settlement caused local resources and settlers to be exploited.
In the Tapani sector, Neona remained uninhabited for a time. Eventually, however, business interests discovered the rich ore deposits in the subterranean layers. As the planet was being mined, the ruins of its native species was discovered among the rubble on the sea floor.
- Neona underwent a dramatic climate change which caused the surface to become submerged underwater.
- The sentient species of Neona was driven to extinction as a result of the climate change.
Behind the scenesEdit
The source Lords of the Expanse makes only a passing reference to the native species of Neona and their demise by stating that it took place approximately twenty thousand years before the Battle of Hoth, the date by which the sourcebook was set. While the events on Neona are not mentioned in The Essential Atlas, this source establishes that the Tapani sector was not in contact with the Galactic Republic at the time of the species's extinction.
- Lords of the Expanse (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void establishes the year 36,463 BBY as the date of the Tho Yor Arrival, which is the zero point of the Tho Yor Arrival dating system, meaning the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the TYA year-notation system is 36,463 years. This date is derived from simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ Simple math was used based upon the dating schemes in The Old Republic timelines.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology states that the Great Hyperspace War began in 5,000 BBY, which is 1,347 BTC in Star Wars: The Old Republic's Galactic Timeline, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the calendar based on the Treaty of Coruscant is 3,653 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The Ruusan Reformation occurred in 1,000 BBY following the Seventh Battle of Ruusan. Date derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology states that the Ruusan Reformation occurred in 1,000 BBY, which is the zero point of the calendar based on the Ruusan Reformation, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the Ruusan Reformation's year-notation system is 1,000 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ This date is derived from simple math based upon the calculation of other dates from the Great ReSynchronization
- ↑ The Essential Atlas states that the Battle of Yavin occurred in year 35, which is the zero point of the BBY/ABY year-notation system, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the Great ReSynchronization's year-notation system is thirty-five years. This date is derived from simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 9.6 9.7 Lords of the Expanse