2BB-2 was a blue-plated BB-series astromech droid in the service of the Resistance. It was present aboard the MC85 Star Cruiser Raddus during the evacuation of the Resistance base on the planet D'Qar circa 34 ABY. After the destruction of the Raddus's bridge, 2BB-2 attended a meeting during which command of the Resistance was granted to Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo.
2BB-2 was a BB-series astromech droid that served in the Resistance during its war against the First Order. Around the year 34 ABY, 2BB-2 was among the forces onboard the MC85 Star Cruiser Raddus while the Resistance evacuated from its base on the planet D'Qar. 2BB-2 was on the cruiser's command bridge when a fleet of First Order vessels arrived above D'Qar and attacked the retreating Resistance.
The Resistance fleet successfully escaped its attacking foes and jumped to hyperspace. However, upon arriving at its destination, the fleet immediately came under attack from the First Order again, having been tracked through hyperspace. At some stage, 2BB-2 exited the command bridge, which was then destroyed, killing all who had remained there except for General Leia Organa.
The droid then attended a meeting on the Raddus's ventral emergency bridge, where Commander Larma D'Acy announced the Resistance's casualties and named Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo the Resistance's new leader while Organa recovered from her injuries. A small portion of the Resistance ultimately survived the attack and escaped from the First Order on the planet Crait.
2BB-2 had blue-colored plating and was equipped with a black security-grade photoreceptor with a telescopic lens. 2BB-2's head did not include the full dome that some BB-series droids possessed, instead lacking plating in some areas and revealing the workings beneath.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "The body still has the basic six circular panels, but now other panels break up the Y-sections and intersect those circular panels. The head still keeps the eyes, protected by a cowling, but breaks up the dome to reveal the inner workings."
- ―Jake Lunt Davies describes 2BB-2
2BB-2 was created as a prop for the sequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, which was released on December 15, 2017. The droid was first revealed prior to the film's release on September 1, 2017, as part of the Force Friday promotional event, where it appeared in the Find the Force feature on the Star Wars App. Creature concept designer Jake Lunt Davies produced concept art of 2BB-2 for The Last Jedi, titled "Rebel BB Head Design 01," which included a deconstructed diagram of the droid's new head design.
In the non-canon Star Wars Blips animated short "Fan Droids," which debuted on YouTube on September 3, 2017, 2BB-2 and several other Resistance droids watch a holographic projection depicting the past exploits of the astromech droid R2-D2. 2BB-2 then spots R2-D2 approaching the group, and the droids all become extremely excited as he passes. The 2018 Star Wars Droids App by Sphero mistakenly refers to 2BB-2 as "BB-2."
- "2BB-2" on Find the Force (screenshot) (First mentioned)
- "BB-2 and BB-4, BB Units" on the Star Wars Droids App by Sphero (screenshot)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Ultimate Sticker Collection
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "2BB-2" on Find the Force (screenshot)
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens to 34 ABY. As Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi takes place immediately after the events of The Force Awakens, it must also take place in approximately 34 ABY.
- ↑ The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars Blips – "Fan Droids"
- ↑ screenshot) (
- ↑ "BB-2 and BB-4, BB Units" on the Star Wars Droids App by Sphero (screenshot)