|Approximate dates in other dating systems|
|Facts and statistics|
5,000,000,000 Before the Battle of Yavin, also 4,999,996,347 Before the Treaty of Coruscant or 4,999,999,965 Before the Great ReSynchronization, was a year long before the rise of the Galactic Republic. It was estimated by xenobiologists on the planet Goroth Prime who lived during the rule of the Galactic Empire that their homeworld's first vestiges of life were born five million millennia before them.
Following the creation of the galaxy around the year 13,000,000,000 BBY, stars began to form within it, developing planets and becoming star systems. One of these systems, which would go on to be called the Goroth system, developed around a star named Goroth Alpha, with a second, Goroth Beta, orbiting. After several millennia in existence, the system had four planets revolving around Alpha between the suns. The system's second planet would become known as Goroth Prime.
The galaxy in 5,000,000,000 BBYEdit
Xenobiologists native to Goroth Prime who lived during the reign of the Galactic Empire, formed in 19 BBY to begin the Imperial Period, studied their planet's biological history. Their estimates placed the world's first forms of life as emerging by the year 5,000,000,000 BBY.
Those forms of life evolved over billions of subsequent years until achieving semi-sentience one million years before the Battle of Yavin, the epoch of the Galactic Standard Calendar. This was relatively late when compared to the rest of the galaxy. The fully sentient Gorothites then emerged 990,000 years after that.
Behind the scenesEdit
5,000,000,000 BBY was mentioned in West End Games's Goroth: Slave of the Empire, a 1995 expansion to Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game written by Nigel D. Findley. It was then established in The Essential Guide to Alien Species (2001) by Ann Margaret Lewis as the approximate birth year of the galaxy. The juxtaposition of these events caused something of an issue, as it took many millennia to form planets. The Essential Atlas (2009) by Jason Fry and Daniel Wallace later clarified the year 13,000,000,000 BBY as the approximate birth of the galaxy, rectifying this potential inconsistency.
- Goroth: Slave of the Empire (First mentioned)
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species (Later retconned as earlier events)
- The Essential Atlas
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology states that the Great Hyperspace War began in 5,000 BBY, which is 1,347 BTC in Star Wars: The Old Republic's Galactic Timeline, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the calendar based on the Treaty of Coruscant is 3,653 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology states that the Ruusan Reformation occurred in 1,000 BBY, which is the zero point of the calendar based on the Ruusan Reformation, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the Ruusan Reformation's year-notation system is 1,000 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ The Essential Atlas states that the Battle of Yavin occurred in year 35, which is the zero point of the BBY/ABY year-notation system, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the Great ReSynchronization's year-notation system is thirty-five years. This date is derived from simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Goroth: Slave of the Empire
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Living Force Campaign Guide established that it could take several millennia for planets to form.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ Into the Core Worlds