796 before the Battle of Yavin (BBY) was a year in the Galactic Republic's Great Peace of the Republic era. In this period of time, Republic scouts opened the previously unexplored Deep Core and broadened Republic territory into areas of the galaxy that were then considered to be part of Wild Space. Around 796 BBY, the Jedi Yoda became a Master in the Jedi Order. Following 796 BBY, Yoda went on to become the Grand Master of the Order, serving as its leader.
The year 1000 BBY saw the end of the galaxy-spanning conflict known as the New Sith Wars, a thousand years of fighting between the Jedi and Sith, the two major Force-using factions of the galaxy. As the war ended, the Galactic Republic was left in ruins and in need of reorganization, a restructuring carried out via the Ruusan Reformation, a collection of reforms enacted by Supreme Chancellor Tarsus Valorum. The reform codified the Jedi Order, the winning faction of the war, as a branch of the Republic's Judicial Department. Yoda, a green-skinned Force-sensitive non-Human, was born in 896 BBY. In the following years, he was trained in the ways of the Force and became a Jedi.
The galaxy in 796 BBYEdit
The year 796 BBY was also known as 2,857 after the Treaty of Coruscant (ATC), a peace agreement that brought an end to the Great Galactic War in 3653 BBY. In addition, 796 BBY was the same as 204 after the Ruusan Reformation and 761 before the Great ReSynchronization (BrS), a year-notation system established in 35 BBY. More than two hundred years before 796 BBY, the Ruusan Reformation became the stating point of a new era, the Great Peace of the Republic. During this time period, Republic scouts opened the previously unexplored Deep Core of the galaxy, and then-designated Wild Space portions of space were charted and settled, broadening the territory of the Republic. Around 796 BBY, Yoda became a Master of the Jedi Order at one hundred years of age.
During the Great Peace of the Republic, which lasted for nearly eight hundred more years, the Galactic Republic continued expanding its territory. In the following years, economic forces acquired more and more power in the galaxy, as companies bought star systems in the Tingel Arm and established the Corporate Sector. Over the next eight centuries, Yoda trained countless Jedi apprentices to Knighthood. His many years of contribution to the Order gained him a seat on the Jedi High Council. Eventually, he ascended to become the Grand Master of the Order, serving as the leader of all Jedi and thus turning into the "face" of the Jedi Council and the embodiment of the Order.
- Yoda became a Master of the Jedi Order. (Approximate date)
Behind the scenesEdit
The year 796 BBY was only indirectly mentioned in Daniel Wallace's 2002 The New Essential Guide to Characters reference book, which stated that Yoda was one hundred years old when he became a Jedi Master. Other sources, such as the 2007 Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force, stated that Yoda was born in 896 BBY, thus indicating that he became a Master around 796 BBY.
- The New Essential Guide to Characters (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 The New Essential Guide to Characters, p. 201
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia establishes the endpoints of this era as 1000 BBY and 22 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Volume 2—Prisoner of Bogan establishes the year 36,453 BBY as the date of the Tho Yor Arrival, which is the zero point of the Tho Yor Arrival dating system, meaning the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the TYA year-notation system is 36,453 years. This date is derived from simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The New Essential Chronology states that the Great Hyperspace War began in 5000 BBY, which is 1,347 BTC in Star Wars: The Old Republic's Galactic Timeline, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the calendar based on the Treaty of Coruscant is 3,653 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The New Essential Chronology states that the Ruusan Reformation occurred in 1000 BBY, which is the zero point of the calendar based on the Ruusan Reformation, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the Ruusan Reformation's year-notation system is 1,000 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Essential Atlas places the Battle of Yavin, the zero point in the Galactic Standard Calendar, in 35:3 under the Great ReSynchronization dating system. The Essential Atlas also places the Battle of Selaggis on 43:2:28 and the Battle of Dathomir on 43:3:21. The Essential Guide to Warfare and The Essential Atlas both place the Battle of Dathomir in 8 ABY. The Essential Guide to Warfare also places the Battle of Selaggis in 7 ABY, confirming the placement of the division between each Galactic Standard Calendar year as the third month in the Great ReSynchronization year. Thus, there is a two-month gap between the two dating systems, and the first two months of a GrS year are the last two of the preceding Galactic Standard Calendar year. The Great ReSynchronization was instituted in 35 BBY, so there is a total difference of 35 years and 2 months between the two systems. This article's date is therefore derived from simple math based on this reference explanation.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 The Essential Atlas, p. 52, 120, 134–135
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 The New Essential Chronology, p. 27, 30
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force, p. XIX
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 363 ("Great Peace of the Republic")
- ↑ Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel, ch. 17