- "I don't care about the Separatists. Or the Republic. I don't care who is right or who is wrong. I only care that this war goes on so that my services are needed and I can be paid for them. Conscience does not drive my decision-making. Only credits."
- ―AD-W4, to Mace Windu
AD-W4, also referred to as Ay-Dee, was a mercenary droid that General Grievous hired to oversee the Separatists operations on the planet Hissrich during the Clone Wars. AD-W4 was ultimately dismantled and destroyed after a duel with Jedi Master Mace Windu on Hissrich. He was known for his literal worship of credits.
Shortly after the beginning of the Clone Wars, AD-W4 was approached by the cyborg General Grievous, the supreme commander of the Separatist droid armies. Grievous hired Ay-Dee to oversee the Separatist operations on the planet Hissrich, a job the droid mercenary only accepted after Grievous noted that there would likely be someone, probably Jedi, to kill during the mission.
During the Hissrich operation, AD-W4 faced the Jedi Master Mace Windu in single combat on two occasions. Although Ay-Dee bested Windu the first time, Windu managed to wound Ay-Dee with his lightsaber during the second duel. Realizing that he had lost, AD-W4 detached his head from his body in an attempt to escape, but Windu managed to blow up AD-W4's head using the Force.
- Jedi of the Republic—Mace Windu, Part I (First appearance)
- Jedi of the Republic—Mace Windu, Part II
- Jedi of the Republic—Mace Windu, Part III
- Jedi of the Republic—Mace Windu, Part IV
- Jedi of the Republic—Mace Windu, Part V