An ablative heatshield was designed to allow an individual to survive re-entry into a planet's atmosphere from orbit. During the Galactic Civil War, a bounty hunter used an ablative heatshield and a parachute to rescue a child over Dantooine. Stormtroopers also employed ablative heatshields to perform orbital drops, and larger shields were mounted on Warlord Dropships to enable the craft to survive high speed atmospheric re-entry. Members of Wraith Squadron and the Jedi Order utilized individual atmospheric intrusion pods mounted with ablative heatshields during their infiltration of Coruscant via atmospheric insertion during the Yuuzhan Vong War in 27 ABY.
- "A World to Conquer"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 2 (As "ablative shield")
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream (As "ablative heat shield")
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
- The Star Wars Sourcebook (As "ablative heat-shield")
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters (As "ablative heat shield")
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters, Second Edition (As "ablative heat shield")
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition (As "ablative heat-shield")