- "The ancient texts are unclear. It appears we were invaded by a race that was more technological than animate. We called on the gods for protection, and they came to our aid, providing us with the knowledge we needed to convert our living resources to weapons. We defeated the threat, and, empowered by our victory, we gradually became conquerors of other species and civilizations"
Abominors were immense droids which were composed of tubing as well as assorted parts from other droids; for example, one side of the only known member of the species—the Great Heep—was filled with various bouncing pistons beating in an appalling, terrible rhythm, and one arm chopped off at the elbow. Grinding blades filled its mouth, with tiny mechanical robots living in its hull like worms living in a mammal's stomach, feeding off its excess. Their culture was based on asymmetry and chaos which conflicted with that of the symmetrical Silentium, another sentient droid species. Some Abominor even grew until they were planet-sized monstrosities.
An Abominor had massive boilers filled with fuel which often relied on moisture drained away from a planet’s life forms to cool its immense internal machinery. However, this process often plunged the planet into a drought or famine and caused great hardship for the inhabitants. Abominors also kept organic slaves and used them to fill their massive boilers.
The Great Heep was known to have a droid harem which kept smaller, unassuming droids in luxury, treating them to oil baths (much like the one Luke Skywalker gave C-3PO on his uncle's moisture farm) and other droid pleasantries before their eventual demise, where it would consume them to add to its own structure.
The Abominors and the Silentium fought a massive war, until their very galaxy became devastated by the conflict. Eventually the organics of the galaxy, who had been ignored by the machines, rose up and waged war on both races. Both droid civilizations were forced to flee into the Unknown Regions of another galaxy where they reestablished their civilizations though they kept out of the affairs of that galaxy most of the time.
However, an agent of the Abominor known as the Great Heep entered the known galaxy and formed an alliance with the Galactic Empire in 15 BBY and was planted on Biitu where it immediately began stripping the planet of its natural resources.
Adventurer Mungo Baobab, while on Biitu, discovered that the Heep was siphoning moisture away from the planet's farmlands. Seeing the native Biituians plunged into the ensuing drought, Baobab destroyed the machine with the help of his droids, R2-D2 and C-3PO. The Imperial ravaging of Biitu had ended.
Sometime after its defeat, the Great Heep was found by a relative of Mungo's, Ebenn Q3 Baobab. Using the clout and wealth attached to his person, Baobab restored the droid and placed it on display at the Baobab Museum of Science.
Behind the scenesEdit
It was strongly implied that the war between the Silentium and the Abominor were the source of the Yuuzhan Vong's technophobia, suggesting that they were the race which invaded Yuuzhan'tar in the past.
- Star Wars: Droids—"The Great Heep (part 1)" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Droids—"The Great Heep (part 2)"
- The Unifying Force (Mentioned only) (Retcon)
- Galactic Phrase Book and Travel Guide
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Endnotes for The New Essential Guide to Droids: PART 1 of 3
- Endnotes for The New Essential Guide to Droids: PART 2 of 3