|Usage and history|
Abyssin ornaments were a type of statue that represented the stylized head of an Abyssin, a violent species from the desert planet Byss. They were used as amulets of protection against bodily harm, as Abyssins were known for their outstanding regenerative abilities.
On Tatooine, the Hutt gangster Jabba Desilijic Tiure possessed several of those ornamental head sculptures, which were attached to his throne. One was also placed on the top-deck of the Khetanna. The Sanyassan warlord Terak also had Abyssin ornaments mounted on the walls of his castle on the Sanctuary Moon of Endor.
Behind the scenesEdit
These statues were first seen in Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, in which they appeared as ornaments on Jabba the Hutt's personal repulsorsled. The Star Wars Customizable Card Game was the first source to identify them as Abyssin ornaments. There are several morphologic differences between the Abyssins such as Myo and the statues—the ornaments feature long snouts and sharp teeth while real Abyssins lack those traits.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (film)
- Star Wars Galaxies
- Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- "Lapti Nek" The Music Video from Jabba's Palace
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars Technical Journal (Volume One)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Jabba's Palace Limited (Card: Abyssin Ornament)
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy
- Star Wars: Complete Locations