Actuating modules were crucial components of blasters. Once blaster gas had been energized it went through this module and was electromagnetically accelerated to create the beam of high-energy particles that formed a blaster bolt.
Improved actuating modules existed for blaster pistols that increased the power and penetration of the weapon's shots. These improved modules contained updated firmware and stronger electromagnetic accelerators, but the increased power they provided often caused weapons equipped with the modules to wear down and develop faults quickly. The upgrade was favored by bounty hunters and mercenaries, along with anyone who wanted to make the first shot they got in count for more. The modules generally sold for 500, and models available during the period after the Battle of Yavin during the Galactic Civil War between the Galactic Empire and the Alliance to Restore the Republic included SoroSuub Corporation's X440 blaster actuating module, Dolmax's Heavy blaster actuator and Arakyd Industries' 97R Enhanced blaster actuating module.
- Cracken's Rebel Field Guide (As "Actuating Blaster Module")
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
- Fly Casual
- Strongholds of Resistance