An afterburner was a component added to the engines of certain atmospheric vehicles.
The afterburner was designed to provide a temporary increase in thrust for situations such as take-off, or, in the case of military vehicles, combat. Additional fuel was injected into the jet pipe downstream of the turbine, and was then ignited by the turbine's exhaust gases, thus providing thrust. Podracers and speeder bikes, such as the Aratech 74-Z were commonly fitted with afterburners.
- Star Wars: Republic: Emissaries to Malastare
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novel (First appearance)
- X-wing Rogue Squadron: The Rebel Opposition
- Episode I: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- Afterburner on Wikipedia