Ahch-To was a planet mostly covered in water, with numerous rocky islands blanketed with green trees. Three decades after the Galactic Civil War, it served as the home of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker who went into exile seeking the first Jedi Temple after his Jedi students were killed by Kylo Ren. After the Resistance pieced together two map fragments to reveal Skywalker's location, Rey traveled to Ahch-To in the Millennium Falcon accompanied by R2-D2 and Chewbacca, in search of him.
From space, Ahch-To appeared to be a world of nothing but deep blue oceans. Dotting the oceans, however, were rocky island archipelagos covered with green trees and grass, where birds would congregate. The first Jedi Temple was built on one such island. By the time of the conflict between the First Order and the Resistance, the island that supposedly held the location of the first Jedi Temple was dotted with ruins.
- "The map! It is complete!"
- ―C-3PO and Leia Organa
Before the Jedi Purge and the Age of the Empire, Jedi scholars made a case for Ahch-To as the location of the Jedi Order's first temple alongside other candidate worlds, such as Tython, Coruscant, Jedha, and Ossus. Despite this, however, the location of the first Jedi Temple was a mystery by the time the Galactic Civil War came to a close. After Jedi Master Luke Skywalker tried to rebuild the Jedi Order, his efforts were destroyed by his nephew, Ben Solo, who turned to the dark side of the Force and became Kylo Ren, a master of the Knights of Ren. In his sorrow, Skywalker vanished and went in search of the first Jedi Temple. He entered into a self-imposed exile on Ahch-To, residing on an island with stone ruins.
As the Resistance began its fight against the First Order, General Leia Organa, Skywalker's sister, hoped to find her brother and bring him back into the fight against the dark side. She sent Commander Poe Dameron to Jakku, where he retrieved a partial map held by Lor San Tekka that gave part of the direction to Ahch-To. Later, after the partial map was given to the Resistance, Skywalker's astromech droid R2-D2, who had been in low power mode since Skywalker's exile, returned to full power and provided the rest of the map to Ahch-To. R2 unknowingly had the map in his databanks for many years, having found it in the network of the Galactic Empire aboard the Death Star during the Galactic Civil War. Rey, a young Force-sensitive scavenger, took the map and traveled to Ahch-To, where she found Skywalker in his exile.
Behind the scenesEdit
The planet Ahch-To first appeared in the final moments of the 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. The name of the planet was not uttered in the film, and instead was revealed in the script. It will appear again in Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, set for release on December 15, 2017.
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- The Force Awakens: Rey's Story
- The Force Awakens Golden Book
- The Force Awakens Read-Along Storybook and CD
- The Force Awakens, Part VI
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- ↑ The Force Awakens: Rey's Story
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Breznican, Anthony (December 20, 2015). J.J. Abrams explains R2-D2's closing scene in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on March 3, 2016.
- ↑ Sciretta, Peter (December 31, 2015). Star Wars: The Force Awakens Ending Details And More Revealed In Official Screenplay. /Film. Retrieved on March 3, 2016.