|Points of interest|
Aldera was the capital city of Alderaan. It was located near the Triplehorn mountains, nestled on an island at the center of a lake. In addition to being the planet's seat of power, Aldera was also an important center of culture and science, comprising the University of Alderaan, several musea and the famous cooking school of the Epicurium. However, it was destroyed in 0 BBY along with the rest of Alderaan, when the Empire saw an opportunity to break in its new superweapon, the first Death Star.
- "The glittering capital city of Aldera sat on an island in the center of a beautiful lake."
- ―Hari Seldona
The city of Aldera was built on an island with uneven slopes located in the middle of a lake. That lake was in fact a relatively fresh meteor crater—from a geological point of view, as most of Alderaan's ancient craters had been weathered away—which had broken through into the underground aquifers around 30,500 BBY. The resulting body of water was surrounded by a series of low foothill areas covered with woodlands and green fields. One of the city's edges was bordered by the Triplehorn mountains, the top of which was often shrouded in snow. In the morning light, the waters of Aldera's lake shone a sparkling icy-blue. Across the water from the city lay a vast wilderness that was quite close to Aldera, although not part of it. That zone of grasslands contained a small valley from which one could get a glimpse of the capital in the distance.
Like the other few metropolitan areas of the planet, Aldera was designed in such way that the natural landscape was little affected. With its gleaming white, free-form buildings standing on the uneven slopes of the island, the skyline of Aldera created an artful bridge between the green fields and white clouds. The climate around Aldera was usually temperate, without excluding occasional light snow.
- "Aldera housed the embassies of off-planet dignitaries, and was also the home of Senator Bail Organa. Princess Leia Organa spent many years of her childhood there."
- ―Hari Seldona
Visitors to the city mostly arrived by air, unless they traversed the lake by boat. Upon reaching Aldera, many outlanders were breathtaken at the white, flowing architecture of the buildings, many of them belonging to the planetary government. The most majestic of Aldera's monuments was the Aldera Royal Palace, which housed Queen Breha Organa and her consort, Prince Bail Prestor Organa in the last decades of the Galactic Republic. While the Palace's towers were high and occupied a wide stretch of ground, some of the buildings located west of them were tall enough to obstruct the view.
In addition to being the royal seat of Alderaan, the capital city was also home to the main core of the most prestigious University of Alderaan and the most high-tech Aldera Universal Medcenter. On a more mundane level, the city also contained a Spacer Quarter—in which many bars and hotels could be found—and a marketplace. The planet's primary spaceport was also located in the outskirts of Aldera. The spaceport's main docking facility was hosted in a cluster of hemispherical buildings.
The city of Aldera, the ancient capital of Alderaan, dated back to the founding of many of the galaxy's oldest learning institutions. The city was specifically built inside a meteor crater filled with water in order to minimize its impact on the planet's surface. The University of Alderaan, established by the renowned teacher and philosopher Collus, was one of the first structures built on the island city—and one of the oldest and most widely revered universities in the galaxy.
Although Aldera was perhaps best known for its university, many other prominent buildings housed the cultural and governmental facilities which Alderaan was so well known for. Over time, as powerful individuals seized on the University of Alderaan's importance, other teachers came to Alderaan to build their own schools in Aldera, adjacent to the original university. These institutions branched into disciplines including politics, mathematics, cultural pursuits, and the arts.
Aldera housed the embassies of off-world dignitaries and would eventually become the political heart of Alderaan. The Aldera Royal Palace was constructed in the planetary capital shortly before 719 BBY, some two hundred years after the Ruusan Reformation. Prior to this, at least until the Cold War of 3653 BBY, the Elysium had been the planet's political center.
At some point between 1 and 0 BBY, the Star Tours travel agency organized trips to Alderaan as part of their Star Tours Getaway Package. The company's StarSpeeder 1000 spacecrafts would notably bring their passengers to the capital city of Aldera. At that time, Alderaan was considered the safest planet in the galaxy. However, the city was destroyed, along with the rest of Alderaan, by the Death Star in 0 BBY.
Tens of thousands of Alderaanians had been off planet when it was blown up, allowing them to survive. Gradually, the disparate groups of survivors ended up forming the Alderaan Alliance and moved to New Alderaan. On their new world, the refugees built New Aldera, an exact replica of their lost capital.
Behind the scenesEdit
The city of Aldera was first designed by Ralph McQuarrie, who was the conceptual designer responsible for the look of the original trilogy of Star Wars. The mountains surrounding Aldera in Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith were modelled after a location in the Swiss Alps.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Mentioned only)
- HoloNet News Vol. 531 47 (content now unavailable; backup links 1 2 on Archive.org) —
- SkyeWalkers: A Clone Wars Story (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Assassin"
- MedStar II: Jedi Healer (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (Commercial and weather report list only)
- Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
- The Last of the Jedi: Master of Deception
- The Last of the Jedi: Reckoning
- Star Wars: Agent of the Empire—Hard Targets, Part 1
- Star Wars: Agent of the Empire—Hard Targets, Part 5
- The Paradise Snare (First appearance)
- "The Princess Leia Diaries"—Star Wars Tales 11
- Rebel Dawn (Mentioned only)
- Shadow Games
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope junior novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Empire 21: A Little Piece of Home, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge (Mentioned only)
- Tatooine Ghost (Mentioned only)
- Jedi Search (Indirect mention only)
- Planet of Twilight (Vision to Leia Organa Solo)
- Fate of the Jedi: Conviction (Mentioned only) (as part of the code)
- The Illustrated Star Wars Universe (First mentioned)
- "On Our Planet: Alderaan"—Star Wars Kids 5
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- The Essential Chronology
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 18 (ALD1-4, Alderaan)
- Star Wars Miniatures: Ultimate Missions: Rebel Storm
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 29
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 11 (Guide to the Galaxy: The Orbit of Alderaan)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 SkyeWalkers: A Clone Wars Story
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Last of the Jedi: Master of Deception
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (Weather report)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- ↑ "Refresher Reading"—Star Wars Insider 90
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
- ↑ According to The Official Star Wars Fact File 18, the crater formed roughly three thousands years before the arrival of the Human colonists on Alderaan, which The New Essential Chronology places around 27,500 BBY.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 The Paradise Snare
- ↑ The Last of the Jedi: Reckoning
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Rebel Force: Hostage
- ↑ Shadow Games
- ↑ Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 11 (Guide to the Galaxy: The Orbit of Alderaan)
- ↑ The Essential Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Elysium"
- ↑ Children of the Jedi
- ↑ Dark Empire II
- ↑ The Art of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith