|Alderaan Conference on the Clone War Refugee Crisis|
c. 21 BBY
- "We need legislation to defend the displaced citizens, to protect our soldiers from feeling there is no future beyond their warfare, and we must open channels through diplomacy so that we can end this war. I know that there are those among the Separatists who would end this conflict, and I know that there are those individuals in the galaxy who would seek to promote fear and spread chaos. To those who act as agents of chaos, I say this: I stand resolute and unyielding. And if you strike my voice down, know that a chorus of thousands shall rise up in its place, for you have no dominion over the righteous. We are the defenders of truth."
- ―Senator Amidala's keynote address
The Alderaan Conference on the Clone War Refugee Crisis was led by Senators Padmé Amidala of Naboo and Bail Organa of Alderaan. It was called to address the growing concern over refugees generated by the galactic conflict known as the Clone Wars. It was hosted on the peaceful world of Alderaan by Organa, the planet's Viceroy. It was at the conference that bounty hunter Aurra Sing chose to assassinate Senator Amidala. Sing was hired by Ziro Desilijic Tiure, who wanted revenge for his Republic imprisonment, but her assassination attempt was thwarted by Padawan Ahsoka Tano and the senator herself.
- "As the conflict that divides our galaxy escalates, we cannot loose perspective on the value of life and the price of freedom. No one knows this better than the distinguished Senator Padmé Amidala of Naboo"
"Thank you, Senator Organa. I wanted to first thank you all for coming. This is a cause that is very important to me. I can remember after the illegal blockade of my homeworld by the Trade Federation how many lives were thrown into chaos. True, in the grand scale of things, it was a small conflict, and true, there was only one battle fought during the occupation. But let us examine the cost of that one conflict. Hundreds of Naboo were forced from their home. Naboo's security forces and the Gungan army both incurred heavy casualties, and the life of Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn was lost. And yet now I find myself a party to and witness of a full-scale war that has divided our great Republic in two."
- ―Senators Organa and Amidala open the conference
- "Ahsoka, in your vision, does Aurra succeed?"
"I can't tell."
"Well then, at least we have a fighting chance."
- ―Senator Amidala and Padawan Tano confer prior to the opening remarks
Senator Amidala's addressEdit
- "Fear. In these times, it is the greatest weapon wielded against those who would stand up for truth and justice. We have a responsibility as elected leaders of the Republic to face our fears and challenge those who threaten the safety of its people. I stand before you today bruised, but not beaten. The voices of the people shall be heard, and together we shall represent them. The homeless shall no longer be homeless and faceless. The soldiers who so valiantly fight to protect us must also be protected when war comes home."
- ―Amidala's plea to the congregation via droid proxy
- "You just guaranteed yourself an extra long vacation in this 'lovely' establishment."
"Do you see the conditions I'm living in? That…that insipid senator put me in here! She deserves to die for leaving me to rot in this squalor!"
- ―Tano coaxes a confession from Ziro the Hutt
Participants and attendeesEdit
- "Bail Organa and I are leading a conference concerning the refugees from the war. I leave for Alderaan in the morning."
"But the threat to your life—"
"Ahsoka, the refugee situation is much too crucial to ignore. I called this conference; it could make an enormous difference in policy. It's vital that I go."
- ―Senator Amidala and Padawan Tano
- "Bail, it's so good to see you. Thank you for hosting this conference. Dealing with the refugees from this war needs to be our number one priority."
- ―Senator Amidala
- "Come! Senator Mothma and I will take you to your quarters."
- ―Senator Organa
- "I'm certain now it is Senator Amidala who is in danger."
"Senator Amidala, you say?"
"Yes Master, I've seen it in my visions."
"Choose, you must, how to respond to your visions. But remember, always in motion is the future, and many possible futures there are."
- ―Tano consults with Grand Master Yoda
- "I don't mean to interject, but now is not the time for this. Senator Amidala must prepare for her summit."
- ―Captain Typho dismisses Tano's concerns
- "Why are you doing this? Killing me will not stop the relief effort."
"Haha, hunny, this this isn't about your 'cause.' This is about revenge. My employer wants to get even with you—simple as that."
- ―Senator Amidala and Aurra Sing
Behind the scenesEdit
- "This episode, more than others, reveals the convoluted chronology of stories from the first two seasons."
- ―"Assassin" Episode Guide
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.39 (First identified as Alderaan Conference on the Clone War Refugee Crisis)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Magazine 15