- "…the algae allows us to breathe oxygen beneath the surface for several minutes."
Algae was a plant that typically grew underwater and liked to cover the surfaces of objects. The plant could also be airborne, where it lived on water droplets and chemical vapors floating in the atmosphere. Additionally, algae grew on objects out of water, sometimes dangling from structures in strands up to several hundred meters in length and creating virtual "forests" of algae.
- "The life energy distilled from concentrated banks of algae and other primitive life-forms can prevent the decay common to previous soul-captures."
While it was preyed upon for sustenance by other plants and animals, some species of algae thrived in a comensal relation with other species, including the Melodies of Yavin 13, to which the plant provided life-sustaining oxygen. Furthermore, varieties such as the bestrum algae from Baralou were broken down and processed into foods for consumption, and dried algae extracts were used to create algae sugar for use in alcohol fermentation. Algae-bread was especially favored by Herglics, who also made algae ice cream.
Sometime before the P'w'eck Emancipation Movement in 28 ABY, the process of Ssi-ruuk entechment was improved upon by harvesting the life energy emitted by algae to prevent the decay of captured souls.
A more advanced form of algae could be found in the Cygnus B system. It contained a planet with oceans inhabited by giant sapient algae beds. Similarly, the planet Paulking XIV of the Corporate Sector had oceans filled with talking algae.
Types of algaeEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
Algae, a photosynthetic organism in real life, was first introduced into Star Wars lore by author John Chesterman in his 1979 article "Cantina Communications," from Star Wars Official Poster Monthly 16.
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin, First Edition
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin, Second Edition
- Planets of the Galaxy, Volume One
- Lords of the Expanse
- The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
- Alien Anthology
- A Campaign Guide to the Centrality"—Star Wars Gamer 5 "
- Standoff on Leritor"—Star Wars Gamer 10 "
- The Essential Atlas
- Enter the Unknown
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Therefore I Am: The Tale of IG-88
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Young Jedi Knights: Trouble on Cloud City
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Boba Fett: Crossfire
- ↑ Dark Apprentice
- ↑ Dark Tide I: Onslaught
- ↑ The New Rebellion
- ↑ Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen
- ↑ I, Jedi
- ↑ Junior Jedi Knights: Lyric's World
- ↑ Planets of the Galaxy, Volume One
- ↑ Planet of Twilight
- ↑ Lords of the Expanse
- ↑ Force Heretic II: Refugee
- ↑ Cantina Communications
- ↑ A Campaign Guide to the Centrality
- Algae on Wikipedia