- "You refer to us as 'alien,' and the Princess calls us 'non-Human.' Why are we defined by you and in comparison to you?"
- ―Borsk Fey'lya
Alien was a Humanocentric biological—and sometimes political—term to describe a sentient species or a person of a species other than a Human or near-Human. It is often used interchangeably with the term Non-Human. The term may have been derived from the first impression of early Humans, when they had their first contacts with species from other planets. However, it seems to have been prevalent even in subsequent millennia.
Since Humans were the most common and prominent sentient species in galactic affairs and history, they were often considered to be a standard or average to which the biology, psychology, and culture of other species were compared. Thus species with a body type roughly similar to Humans were often referred to as humanoid.
Behind the scenesEdit
The word alien originally meant "stranger," and came from the Latin word alienus of the same meaning. The word was directly borrowed into English, and frequently used in the sense of "foreigner," as in the legal term for a person who is not a native or naturalized citizen of the land where they are found. It was also used in biology to describe plant or animal species which were not naturally found in a given part of the Earth, but had been introduced there.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- Han Solo at Stars' End
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
- X-Wing: Isard's Revenge
- Death Star (novel)
- Tales of the Bounty Hunters
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, First Edition
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: )
- Star Wars: The Art of the Brothers Hildebrandt
- Star Wars: Rebellion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The Essential Chronology
- The New Essential Chronology
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- "Refresher Reading"—Star Wars Insider 91
- Fate of the Jedi: Dramatis Personae
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 138