- "You refer to us as 'alien,' and the Princess calls us 'non-Human.' Why are we defined by you and in comparison to you?"
- ―Borsk Fey'lya
Alien was a Humanocentric biological—and sometimes political—term to describe a sentient species or a person of a species other than a Human or near-Human. The term may have been derived from the first impression of early Humans, when they had their first contacts with species from other planets. However, it seems to have been prevalent even in subsequent millennia.
Since Humans were the most common and prominent sentient species in galactic affairs and history, they were often considered a standard or average to which the biology, psychology, and culture of other species were compared. Thus species with a body type roughly similar to Humans were often referred to as humanoid.
Aliens were sometimes victims of speciesism, being derided and avoided by Humans in certain societies, like Taris during the blockade of the Sith. Prejudice against aliens led many aliens and planets with alien native species to join the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars and Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Galactic Civil War, both times hoping for freedom and safety from prejudice.
Behind the scenesEdit
The word alien originally meant "stranger," and came from the Latin word alienus of the same meaning. The word was directly borrowed into English, and frequently used in the sense of "foreigner," as in the legal term for a person who is not a native or naturalized citizen of the land where they are found. It was also used in biology to describe plant or animal species which were not naturally found in a given part of the Earth, but had been introduced there.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Han Solo at Stars' End
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Assault Team
- Strike Force: Shantipole
- "Swoop Gangs"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 6
- Beyond the Rim
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- X-Wing: Isard's Revenge
- Death Star (novel)
- Tales of the Bounty Hunters