- "Affirmative, AT-ST support is on the way."
- ―An Imperial technician
The All Terrain Scout Transport (AT-ST), also known as a Scout Transport, Scout Walker, or derisively as a chicken walker, was a lightweight, bipedal walker used by the ground forces of the Galactic Empire.
Serving as a reconnaissance and patrol vehicles, AT-STs were equipped with chin-mounted medium blaster cannons capable of firing at a range of two kilometers, as well as side cannons equipped with rockets and concussion grenades capable of doing massive damage to enemy vehicles and ground troops at close range. Aside from blaster cannons, concussion grenades, and side mounted homing rockets, the AT-STs had durasteel claws about half a meter long, used for hacking down rebels and slicing through enemy barricades mercilessly.[source?] They were excellent at dealing with large amounts of infantry as well as mounted turrets that were too risky to be taken out with rocket launchers. Despite its speed and agility, an AT-ST walker's offensive and defensive power were significantly compromised. Its weapons systems were only good against lightly-armored targets at close range; and its lighter armor could repel attacks from small arms fire, but not laser cannons, missiles, or other heavy ordinance. The Ewoks of Endor discovered that the AT-ST was also vulnerable to anti-Gorax traps, such as ramming logs suspending from tress onto the sides of the walker could smash through the walker's head, destroying the cockpit, and other short-range attacks such as thick ropes slung around its lower legs possibly toppling the walker, while rocks and other debris dropped from above could destabilize its footing. One of its greatest weaknesses however, was its susceptibility to hijacking. Sufficiently strong force could rip the entrance hatch off the top of the walker. If commandeered, the walker's cannons could easily penetrate other AT-STs armor.
AT-STs were commonly used to screen the flanks of larger assault walkers for major ground operations. As such, they were essential for cleaning up minor resistance along the path of a pre-planned invasion route, and could quickly eliminate any small threats that managed to evade an AT-ATs barrage. The walker was also commonly used on anti-personnel hunting missions, and was piloted by two AT-ST drivers with superior skills of balance and agility.
There was a more heavily-armored variant with a darker color scheme and different weapons known as an AT-ST Mark III.
Part of the All-Terrain walker family, its role in supporting Imperial ground operations earned it the moniker 'scout walker.' It was commonly involved in a variety of environments, such as in skirmishes on the planet Tatooine. Several fought alongside AT-ATs at the Battle of Hoth. They also notably participated in the Battle of Endor, where they were defeated by the Ewoks and their traps.
Behind the scenesEdit
The original model for the AT-ST was created by members of the Industrial Light & Magic team, and George Lucas thought it was "neat" and decided to include it in The Empire Strikes Back alongside the AT-AT, so the ILM model shop disassembled it and added a metal stop-motion armature.[source?]
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: Battle Pod
- The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight
- Star Wars: Chewbacca, Part III
- Star Wars 2: Skywalker Strikes, Part II (Cover only)
- Star Wars 3: Skywalker Strikes, Part III
- Star Wars Battlefront (First identified as chicken walker)
- Star Wars: Commander
- "Inbrief"—Star Wars Insider 161 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Battlefront: Twilight Company
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Star Wars: Shattered Empire, Part I
- Star Wars: Shattered Empire, Part III
- Star Wars: Shattered Empire, Part IV
- Aftermath (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Uprising (Wreckage only)
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Before the Awakening (Wreckage only)
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ; images #11, 12 (of 13)
- ; image #13 (of 13)