An alternating polarizer, or polarizing orb, was a type of magnetic device used to energize metal blaster projectiles known as quarrels in bowcasters. A bowcaster contained a positive-default and negative-default alternating polarizer, along with a conductive bowstring, balanced on each end of the weapon. The polarizing orbs would charge a quarrel and envelope it in plasma energy before firing a destructive blaster bolt from the barrel of the bowcaster, boosting its power with its magnetic field.
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as polarizing orb)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as alternating polarizer)