- "Then there's this girl from Gatalenta named Amilyn Holdo who is…let's say, a little odd."
"I trust your judgement, Leia, but don't be too quick to write people off. Sometimes they can surprise you."
- ―Leia and Bail Organa
Amilyn Holdo was a human female from Gatalenta. In her youth, Holdo served in the Apprentice Legislature of the Imperial Senate, where she became acquainted with Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan. During her time in the Apprentice Legislature, Holdo became friends with Organa, who confided with her about involvement with the rebellion against the Galactic Empire. Later, by the year 34 ABY, Holdo became a Vice Admiral in Organa's Resistance during its war with the First Order.
A human female, Amilyn Holdo was born on the planet Gatalenta during the early Imperial Era. In the year 3 BBY, Holdo joined the Apprentice Legislature, an Imperial organization on Coruscant for youth in politics. While in the Apprentice Legislature, Holdo met Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan, daughter of Senator Bail Organa. Holdo and Princess Organa spent much time together during senatorial sessions and routine pathfinding training on various worlds such as Alderaan, Eriadu, and Felucia. While pathfinding on the planet Pamarthe, Holdo discovered Organa's involvement with the rebellion against the Galactic Empire. Soon after, Holdo helped Organa find passage to the Paucris system in order to warn the fleet of an impending Imperial attack.
In 2 BBY, the rebellion became the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and in the subsequent Galactic Civil War, the Empire was toppled and replaced with a New Republic. However, an Imperial remnant reorganized into the First Order, so in 28 ABY, Organa created the Resistance to oppose them. By 34 ABY, during the conflict between the two groups, Holdo joined the Resistance military and served as a Vice Admiral and commanding officer of the cruiser Ninka. Following the assault on Starkiller Base, Holdo became the leader of the Resistance.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "I like comparing different planets' traditional astrological charts to see if they agree on the influences exercised by various stars. The parallels are uncanny!"
- ―Amilyn Holdo, introducing herself to the Apprentice Legislature
Holdo had blue eyes and light-colored skin, and she was tall. In her youth, Holdo became disinterested with the peaceful culture of her homeworld, so she expressed herself by dyeing her hair vibrant colors, wearing vibrantly-colored clothing, and going on daring escapades. Holdo also enjoyed studying astrology, and she was knowledgeable of the galaxy. She had a quirky personality, often getting distracted, speaking in metaphors with a monotone voice, and being eccentric. Organa found Holdo to be insightful and charming, but also irritating at times.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "She's somebody who's a bit off-kilter, who sees the world through a prism most others don't understand. At first Leia thinks she's pleasant but weird, but as time goes on, it becomes apparent that there's much more to Holdo than you might guess when you first met her. We don't really have a lot of true oddballs in Star Wars, so it was fun to introduce one!"
- ―Claudia Gray, on Amilyn Holdo
Amilyn Holdo is a character developed for the upcoming 2017 film Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, in which she will be portrayed by actress Laura Dern. The casting announcement was revealed on February 15, 2016, and Holdo's name was first revealed on May 24, 2017 in a Vanity Fair article. During the Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi marketing campaign, Holdo appeared as a supporting character in the young adult novel Leia, Princess of Alderaan by Claudia Gray, and was briefly shown in the picture book A Leader Named Leia. Holdo's appearance in Leia, Princess of Alderaan was received positively, with some readers comparing her to the character Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter.
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan (First appearance, simultaneous with A Leader Named Leia)
- A Leader Named Leia (First appearance, simultaneous with Leia, Princess of Alderaan)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Leia, Princess of Alderaan
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 A Leader Named Leia
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo"
- ↑ Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ Bloodline
- ↑ Star Wars Insider 177
- ↑ Breznican, Anthony (2017-11-21). Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Whats's at stake for Luke and Leia. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on November 21, 2017.
- ↑ Kamp, David (May 24, 2017). Cover Story: Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the Definitive Preview. Vanity Fair. Retrieved on May 24, 2017.