- "I'm honored to meet so many distinguished guests. I offer you welcome."
- ―Queen Apailana, to Ferus Olin and his allies
Apailana was a Human female who served as the successor to Neeyutnee as Queen of Naboo. In a similar fashion to the previous monarchs, she was formally styled Her Royal Highness, Queen Apailana of Naboo during her two-year reign.
- "Our history with the Jedi has led me to trust what they say. I never believed the official story of Senator Amidala's death. I have encouraged Captain Typho to keep searching for answers, even though it seems there are none to be had. Near the end of her life, the Senator still had faith in the Jedi. We were in constant contact, so I am sure of this. I still think of the Jedi as friends—no matter if there is one or one thousand."
- ―Queen Apailana, to Ferus Olin
Apailana was a female Human from the Mid Rim planet of Naboo. She was one of the youngest monarchs ever elected on the peaceful world, succeeding Queen Neeyutnee at the tender age of twelve, following the latter's two-year term. She greatly revered Padmé Amidala and Jamillia, and aspired to be as good a ruler as her predecessors. Amidala, now a Senator, supported Apailana's bid for the throne.
In 19 BBY, shortly after the end of the Clone Wars, the thirteen-year-old Queen was one of the chief mourners at Amidala's funeral, wearing a chersilk mourning robe and a Shiraya fan headdress in tribute to Amidala. The headdress was last worn by Jamillia.
When Palpatine declared himself Galactic Emperor, Apailana made outward pretenses of loyalty, but secretly harbored doubts about the new regime. Throughout her reign, government buildings and organizations on Naboo continued to refer to the Republic, not the newly-formed Empire.
At some point, Apailana accompanied Senator Jar Jar Binks on a state visit to the Core World planet of Grizmallt. Naboo was colonized around 3900 BBY by an expedition sponsored by the then Queen of Grizmallt, Elsinoré den Tasia.
Although respectful of Naboo tradition in not ordering an investigation into Amidala's death, she privately disagreed with the official word from the Empire, which stated that Amidala had been killed at the hands of the Jedi. Apailana then made it known to her inner council that should any Jedi who survived Order 66 be found on Naboo, they would be welcome to remain there. One such Jedi, Ferus Olin, convinced her to shut down Naboo's comm systems and team with Boss Rugor Nass in an attack on the Imperial headquarters on Naboo.
- "During the rise of the Empire, the Emperor's home planet of Naboo rapidly established itself as a major irritant. After a number of Naboo's ambassadors were sent home in various states of dismemberment, her newly-elected Queen broke off diplomatic ties and began exploring military options. Clearly it was time for a regime change, a change that would be effected by the 501st, now under the direct command of Darth Vader."
- ―Unidentified 501st stormtrooper
This attack would prove Apailana's undoing, for soon after, rumors began to circulate that she was indeed harboring Jedi fugitives. Darth Vader, acting on this information, sent the 501st Legion to Naboo with orders to kill the Queen and bring the planet back in line. The 501st uncovered her, but her prepared security guards were able to put up a substantial fight against the 501st stormtroopers. With support from an autoturret grid, the small skirmish was prolonged and turned into a full-scale battle.
Shortly after the destruction of the autoturret grid's console and the death of many Naboo guards, Apailana appeared, armed with a pistol. Also escaping with the Queen was a group of runaway Jedi who were acting as Apailana's personal bodyguards. Their attack was also meant to cover the Queen's escape as she fled the city.
However, the 501st proved too powerful for the Queen's Jedi protectors. A scout trooper quickly shot the Queen with his sniper rifle right outside the Royal Palace. To add to the tragedy, none of the Jedi she was hiding survived, some dying protecting the Queen during the battle, and the rest being hunted and gunned down by Imperials after her death.
- "With the Queen eliminated, Naboo quickly fell in line. It was the first time the 501st was called upon to 'adjust' a planet's government, but it wouldn't be the last."
- ―Unidentified 501st stormtrooper
Shortly thereafter, Kylantha, who appeared—at least on the surface—more accepting of the Empire's control, was elected Queen of Naboo, a position she still held during the early years of the Galactic Civil War.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "It feels kind of strange knowing that I rule the whole planet of Naboo and I'm only thirteen. At first, my face—because it was really white—was a bit of a shock. But when the whole costume was put together and the headdress was put on, I really felt proud, like a Queen."
- ―Keisha Castle-Hughes
Apailana first appeared in Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, released on May 19, 2005. She was portrayed by Keisha Castle-Hughes, a young Oscar-nominated actress from New Zealand. Castle-Hughes spent seven hours in make-up for her role in Revenge of the Sith and filmed her scene in only one day.
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith 3 (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith junior novel (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith PhotoComic
- "Republic HoloNet News Special Inaugural Edition 16:5:241"—Star Wars Insider 84
- The Last of the Jedi: Death on Naboo
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9
- ↑ 2.0 2.1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: Battlefront II
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Files Series 2 (Card: Queen Apailana (Queen of Naboo))
- ↑ Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ The Last of the Jedi: Death on Naboo
- ↑ Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided