Aquatic assault stormtroopers, also known as seatroopers or aquatic troopers, were a specialized branch of the Imperial stormtroopers. They were used by the Galactic Empire to maintain a presence on the many aquatic worlds under its rule. It is unknown if they had any ties to the aquatic Imperial navy.
Many of the standard technologies employed by the Imperial military were modified for aquatic use, including specialized aquatic garrisons, custom TIE fighter boats, and powerful AT-AT swimmers. The armor of the seatrooper was based on the lightweight scout trooper design. It was worn over a two-piece environmental body glove that provides protection from uncomfortable temperature extremes, or toxic-water environments. Designed specifically for engagements on Dac and Tibrin, the seatrooper's armor was pressure-sealed to a maximum of ten atmospheres and included a rebreather that allowed to stay underwater for more than a hour. The armor was more flexible than standard stormtrooper designs, preserving and even increasing a trooper's underwater dexterity. Supplementing a soldier's swimming skills are a back-mounted propulsion unit, and a pair of propulsion boots with snap-down flippers. Since blaster ranges are often adversely affected by underwater use, the seatroopers carried a blaster rifle/speargun hybrid as a standard weapon. In 137 ABY, the seatroopers of Darth Krayt's Galactic Empire used plasma rifles.
The standard seatrooper utility belt includes high-tension wire, grappling hooks, spare blaster power packs, ion flares, concentrated rations, spare comlink, medpacs, rebreather filters, and a compressed air inflatable bubble tent.
A variation was seen on the planet Iskalon some time after 3 ABY. This variation consisted of a regular stormtrooper helmet and upper body armor over heavy white coveralls. The back-mounted propulsion unit also incorporated an air supply, but the propulsion boots did not have flippers. Thousands of aquatic stormtroopers were used by the Empire to conquer Manaan.
During the Second Imperial Civil War Aquatic assault stormtroopers were also employed by the Imperial Army on the planet Dac for the extermination of the Mon Calamari people ordered by Emperor Darth Krayt. Following the overthrow of the One Sith, the seatroopers came under the control of the Galactic Federation Triumvirate, a new galactic government consisting of the Fel Empire, the Galactic Alliance Remnant, and the New Jedi Order. Seatroopers serving under the Imperial Knight Yalta Val took part in the liberation of Mon Calamari and Quarren slaves who had been coerced into building ships for a pirate syndicate led by the rogue Sith Darth Luft. Seatroopers played an important role in apprehending the pirates, who were subsequently handed over to the authorities.
- Battle for the Golden Sun
- "The Spira Regatta"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 1
- Operation: Elrood
- "Death-Hunter"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 9
- Star Wars 74: The Iskalon Effect (First appearance)
- Star Wars 76: Artoo-Detoo to the Rescue
- Star Wars 102: School Spirit
- Star Wars: Legacy 32: Fight Another Day, Part 1
- Star Wars: Legacy Volume 2 10
- Imperial Sourcebook
- Death Star Technical Companion
- Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim (As "seatrooper")
- Dark Empire Sourcebook (As "seatrooper")
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook (As "seatrooper")
- Death Star Technical Companion, Second Edition
- Imperial Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Rules of Engagement: The Rebel SpecForce Handbook
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised
- Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide