Ar'krai (also spelled ar'kai) was a state of genocidal war among the Bothans. The basic tenets of ar'krai state that if it was declared, all fit Bothans—and usually those that weren't—were required to volunteer for military service against an enemy that threatened the Bothans with extinction—and the Bothans were to repay the enemy in kind. The enemy was to be destroyed to the last individual in an act of speciecide, their name be wiped from history, and their homeworld be ground to dust. In recorded Bothan history, ar'krai was declared only three times. The third was during the Yuuzhan Vong War, after the Battle of Coruscant and the sacrifice of the Bothan Borsk Fey'lya, Chief of State of the New Republic.
Ar'krai did not have a concept of ceasefire. Even ten years after the end of the war, Bothan fundamentalists were still attempting to locate Zonama Sekot and destroy the Yuuzhan Vong. The planet, however, remained safely hidden. Even into later years, the True Victory Party wished to carry out ar'krai and completely eradicate the Yuuzhan Vong.
- The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way (First mentioned)
- The New Jedi Order: Ylesia
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic I: Remnant (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force
- Dark Nest I: The Joiner King (Mentioned only)
- Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen (Mentioned only)
- Legacy of the Force: Tempest