Type I (Breathable)
|Points of interest|
- "If there were two suns, I'd swear I was back home on Tatooine!"
- ―Luke Skywalker
Aridus's surface was largely covered by sprawling deserts, though this terrain was dotted by volcanoes with lava pits and some small bodies of water like lakes and oases. The planet's few settlements, like Aridus Trade City, were located near any body of water and mines. Aridus's sole sentient species were the dimunitive reptilian Chubbits which were oppressed under the Galactic Empire which established mining operations on the planet. Other lifeforms included the reptilian droffi steeds and the Aridusian lava beetle.
Aridus was first scouted by Imperial scouts during the early years of the Galactic Empire. After valuable natural resources were found on the barren planet, various mining conglomerates including Yutrane-Trackata set up operations on Aridus. However, Aridus's ionized atmopshere damaged the mining equipment. Unwilling to waste credits by scrapping all operations on Aridus, the sector Moff authorized the construction of a massive power transformer and signal amplifier—the Iron Tower. The operations resumed and Imperial Hover-trains transported workers to dig sites. In a bid to prove its loyalty, Yutrane-Trackata offered the Empire sole use of its mining vehicles and other heavy equipment.
Unfortunately, the Iron Tower's ultra-strong frequency waves crippled the nervous systems of the native Chubbits, thus killing many of the species. The Chubbits had already been disenfranchised by the Imperial colonization and were forced to wage a guerrilla war on the Empire. However, several Yutrane-Trackata workers surreptitiously supplied Chubbit resistance fighters and members of the Alliance to Restore the Republic with repulsor tanks and crawler tanks.
Behind the scenesEdit
Unused entries in the mastertextfile_english.dat of the 2006 LucasArts computer game Star Wars: Empire at War refer to the "liberation of Aridus" from the Galactic Empire. The entries mention a Nebulon-B frigate, X-wings, Y-wings, an Imperial space station, a Star Destroyer and a long range scanner as the participants, though a reference to a planed ground invasion is made. The briefing states that the Imperials are using the citizens of the system as slave labor in the Imperial munitions factories.
- Shatterpoint (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Dark Times 11: Vector, Part 5 (Possible appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Empire at War (Cut content)
- The Return of Ben Kenobi (First appearance)
- Shadow Stalker (Mentioned only)
- Vader Adrift (Mentioned only)
- The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Mentioned only)
- Dark Forces: Jedi Knight (Mentioned only)
- A New Hope: The Life of Luke Skywalker
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- Anakin Skywalker: The Story of Darth Vader
- Star Wars Galaxy Collector 3 - ComicScan: Coming Full Circle
- C-3PO: Tales of the Golden Droid
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 19 (VAD9, Darth Vader)
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas