- "…you shoulda' seen the results of our tests on Fest—my weapons are gonna put a lot of holes in a lot of Rebel scum—."
- ―Moff Rebus
The assault cannon was a fully-automatic weapon used by the Phase II Dark troopers. It was a modified Imperial Repeater Rifle weapon. 1.2 meters long, the wide body had two barrels with two triggers. The first trigger fired a deadly blue-white plasma shot (maximum capacity 400) at an approximate rate of 540 RPM, the second firing compact, dumb-fire missiles (20). Blasts from this weapon were extremely lethal, capable of punching through body armor and killing soldiers in a single shot. Only soldiers equipped with a Personal energy shield could hope to stand a chance against a trooper equipped with this deadly weapon.
The Phase III Trooper carried a similar weapon. It was essentially a standard assault cannon with five plasma barrels, which allowed the user to fire at a much faster rate, and had an increased ammunition capacitor to compensate. This version lacked the missile launcher used by the Phase IIs and was much too heavy for a human soldier to wield effectively.
Though the weapon was exclusively designed for the Dark Trooper battle droid, an ordinary soldier could grip, aim, and fire it. Kyle Katarn was able to acquire such a weapon during the campaign to eliminate the Dark Trooper Project, using it to great effect in keeping Phase II Dark Troopers at bay.
Assault Cannon also refers to a type of heavy man-potable weapon in common use during the Great Galactic War-era. Similar to the Z-6 Rotary Blaster Cannon, Assault Cannons were carried with two hands and fired from the hip. However, there is significant variation between types of Assault Cannons of the era, and no single dominant model.
- The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: Dark Forces (First appearance)
- "Sand Blasted"—Star Wars Tales 4
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption (Possible appearance)
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns