|Assertor-class Star Dreadnought|
Assertor-class Star Dreadnought
On the top of the ship was a large, prominent ridge from the stern up to a few yards from the bow, containing several guns as well as the command bridge, slightly similar in appearance to the ridge of the Mandator- and Bellator-class dreadnoughts.
On the ventral side of the Assertor were located three ridges—one directly behind the reactor bulge and two to the sides facing the ship's bow.
Offensive and defensive systemsEdit
The class was equipped with a large amount of gun batteries mounted along the ridge of the ship, as well as the flat dorsal and ventral surfaces. Many of the batteries were positioned in patterned clusters.
The Assertor-class was designed with 28 aft thrusters for propulsion and a hyperdrive for interstellar-range travel. The main reactor jutted from the ventral side of the ship and was covered with armor plating, similar to the SFS I-a2b solar ionization reactor.
The Assertor-class served the Galactic Empire during the Galactic Civil War as a command ship and a heavily armed weapons platform. The class consisted of at least two ships, which were at one point serviced and refueled at Naval Station Validusia in the Validusia system. During a fleet exercise at some point after the Arms Race campaign, a ship of this class was refueled by an Altor-class replenishment ship, simultanously with an Allegiance-class battlecruiser.
The Wrath, an Assertor-class dreadnought, led at least one Base Delta Zero operation in its career. This dreadnought was in charge of a fleet consisting of Imperial I- and Imperial II-class Star Destroyers and at least one Interdictor-class Star Destroyer. The fleet also had access to squadrons of TIE/D Defender starfighters.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Less dark-side temple and terror weapon, more optimized for basic, 'conventional' fleet work against a growing New Republic."
- ―Ansel Hsiao
The Assertor-class Star Dreadnought originated as a fanon design by Ansel Hsiao, envisioned as a 15 kilometer long warship with power generation approximately equivalent to 400 Imperial-class Star Destroyers. In addition, it was also the largest 3D modelling project he had done thus far, requiring 30+ million polygons. He based the design on a real-life antecedent. In the early 1900s, Senator Benjamin Tillman, tired of the US Navy's practice of annually requesting slightly bigger battleships, simply told them to design "maximum battleships" that were only limited by their ability to cross the Panama Canal. The artist envisioned it as a more practical dreadnought design meant to combat the New Republic. In another post, Hsiao indicated that, in a comparison to 20th Century naval vessels, the Assertor-class's closest equivalent was the USS Montana.
The design entered continuity when it appeared in The Essential Guide to Warfare, on which Ansel worked as an illustrator. Jason Fry, author of The Essential Guide to Warfare, confirmed that the length and classification of the Assertor-class were recorded in official continuity in his blog, but stated on the forums at TheForce.Net that any power calculations or other info not mentioned in the endnotes were not necessarily canon.
- The Essential Guide to Warfare (First mentioned)
- Jason Fry's Tumblr account - EG to Warfare Endnotes Pt. 7.
- "Designing Warships"—Star Wars Insider 134
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 http://jasonfry.tumblr.com/post/23039847571/eg-to-warfare-endnotes-pt-7
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Star Wars Insider 134
- ↑ According to The Essential Guide to Warfare, the Executor-class is the largest Imperial warship introduced after the Sarlacc Project.
- ↑ The Legacy Era Campaign Guide mentions large warships like Super Star Destroyers were no longer in use due to cost of upkeep.
- ↑ Preview image on Star Wars Books Facebook page
- ↑ Three TIE/ad starfighters were seen flying in formation during the refilling procedure, which indicates that it took place after the Arms Race campaign shown in Star Wars: TIE Fighter, due to the TIE/ad starfighter entering the Imperial Navy after the events of that campaign.
- ↑ Post by Ansel Hsiao (fractalsponge1) on Assertor's firepower
- ↑ http://fractalsponge.net/3D%20Projects.htm
- ↑ http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?2212-Star-Wars-projects-thread&p=561412&viewfull=1#post561412
- ↑ Lit - BE EXCITED: The Essential Thread to The Essential Guide to Warfare on the Jedi Council Forums (Expanded Universe board; posted by jasonfry on May 14, 2012; accessed February 1, 2013)