An atmospheric fighter, or air superiority fighter, was a starfighter variant designed specifically for flight within the atmosphere of a planet. The TIE/sk x1 experimental air superiority fighter, or TIE striker, was a notable example.
An atmospheric fighter was best deployed in low to high atmosphere, although was capable of suborbital flight. The TIE striker was streamlined for air superiority, featuring a solid stabilizing mass in its central hull, framed by tilting wings where a standard TIE/ln space superiority starfighter's large hexagonal panels were vulnerable to crosswinds, making the vessels difficult to steer outside of a vacuum. The TIE striker was fitted with twin ion engines for forward thrust, although also utilized specialized repulsorlifts for its atmospheric operations. The TIE striker was designed for atmospheric patrols over Imperial ground installations.
- "The Voice of the Empire"—Star Wars Insider 170
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novel
- Star Wars Battlefront (DLC)
- Star Wars: Commander (First appearance)
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Poe Dameron 9: The Gathering Storm, Part II (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First identified as atmospheric fighter)