- "Gundarks! They're attacking the camp!"
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn
Sometime between 39 BBY and 36 BBY, on the moon Alaris Prime, four predatory gundarks attacked a camp built by the Wookiee Chieftain Attichitcuk. Shortly before the attack, a large number of Wookiee colonists had arrived on Alaris Prime to settle there, and Attichitcuk, who was their leader, had begun exploring the moon and had set up the camp as their first base. Attichitcuk remained alone at the camp for a short time until his nephew Shoran and son, Chewbacca, fellow leaders of the colonists who were being guided by Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, arrived to assist him. At the same time, the gundarks began their attack on the camp, forcing the three Wookiees to fight and kill them. After the attack, the colonists explored Alaris Prime further and later successfully colonized it.
- "Looks like he's already staking a claim."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn, upon seeing Attichitcuk's camp
Sometime between the years 59 BBY and 56 BBY, Alaris Prime, a moon of the gas giant Alaris, was rediscovered by explorers of the Wookiee species from the planet Kashyyyk. The Wookiees, represented by Chieftan Attichitcuk, petitioned the Senate of the Galactic Republic to give them colonization rights to the moon, and they were finally awarded them after twenty years of political debate. Attichitcuk was given leadership of the colonists in honor of his success in the Senate and, along with his son, Chewbacca; nephew Shoran; and the rest of the colonists, headed for Alaris Prime aboard several transport ships, including the Thalmussen sometime between 39 BBY and 36 BBY. The Jedi High Council also sent Qui-Gon Jinn, a Master of the Jedi Order, to assist the Wookiees by instructing them in various techniques useful for colonization.
Upon landing on the moon, Attichitcuk began exploring while the other colonists remained in their transports, leaving markers so others could follow him and then constructing a camp. Shoran later began scouting but halted when he encountered a power core built by the Trade Federation, a galactic corporation that had ignored the Senate's ruling and was beginning its own colonization effort on Alaris Prime. The power core had been damaged by gundarks, a non-sentient predatory species on Alaris Prime, preventing the Federation from developing that area further. Shoran waited until Chewbacca arrived, and, acting on advice from Jinn, the Wookiees destroyed the power core and followed Attichitcuk's markers until they reached him at his camp. Shortly after the two Wookiees arrived, four gundarks headed into the base to attack it.
- "What's that? Attichitcuk smells trouble."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn, after Attichitcuk detected the gundarks
Attichitcuk caught the scent of the gundarks and alerted the other Wookiees to their presence. Jinn also saw the approaching creatures but assured the colonists that the gundarks were no match for Wookiee warriors. Using their bowcasters—Wookiee projectile weapons—the three Wookiees fired at the attacking gundarks, killing all of them and successfully defending the camp.
- "The gundarks must have damaged that power core and driven off its owners. We won't be so easily scared away."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn, after the attack
Immediately after the attack, Jinn speculated that the gundarks that the Wookiees had just defeated were the same ones that had damaged the power core they had encountered earlier. Later, the rest of the Wookiee colonists disembarked from the transports and began the process of colonizing Alaris Prime. After another Wookiee base was attacked, the colonists decided to rid Alaris Prime of the gundarks and led an attack on their nest, where the Wookiees discovered the Trade Federation's illegal presence on the moon. This led to a number of battles that culminated in the Wookiees defeating the Federation and claiming Alaris Prime as their own.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Click a warrior and right click a gundark to attack. Defeat them before they can tear down the camp!"
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn, instructing the player
The attack on Attichitcuk's camp was first mentioned in the 2001 Prima strategy guide for the PC video game Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds and later appeared in the game itself. The attack is part of the first level of the Wookiee tutorial campaign, "Moving and Attacking," in which the player is taught how to attack opponents by using the Wookiees to defeat the gundarks. It is possible for the player to lose the level if either Attichitcuk, Chewbacca, or Shoran is killed.
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (First mentioned)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The New Essential Chronology places the Alaris Prime colonial war between 39 BBY and 36 BBY.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology places the Alaris Prime colonial war between 39 BBY and 36 BBY, and the Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds databank states that the debate for Alaris Prime's colonial rights took place over a twenty-year period.
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Prima's Official Strategy Guide