- "Do not underestimate the Sith. Though quaint, they will do whatever it takes to survive."
- ―Immortal Emperor Valkorion
The Attack on Korriban was a battle of critical importance in 3637 BBY, during the fifth year of the Galactic War. It was part of a series of preliminary raids by the Eternal Empire, which up to this point had been concealed to the rest of the galaxy, as a test of the strength of the border worlds of the Republic and Sith Empire. Korriban was of particular significance because of the large presence of Sith on the planet, being their world of origin, and due to the Sith Academy for the training of Acolytes there. The twin brothers Princes Arcann and Thexan led the assault, where they faced fierce resistance. Arcann was critically injured during the battle, suffering severe burns and the loss of an arm and an eye. Despite this, the following day he was on his feet again, where he killed the Sith commander, Darth Atroxa. Despite the efforts of the Sith, the Knights of Zakuul breached the Sith Academy during the fighting.
The Attack on Korriban was a tremendous defeat for the Sith, while the Eternal Empire only suffered moderate casualties. Following the battle, the Eternal Empire withdrew, eventually heading back to Zakuul—their throne-world. Shortly afterwards, the Republic and Empire would join together to find the source of these unknown invaders.
- "Look around you. Zakuul is poised to become the greatest civilization in the history of the galaxy. I have forged this empire to surmount all of my previous works. To span eternity."
- ―Immortal Emperor Valkorion
In the Esstran sector of the Outer Rim, Korriban was the homeworld of the Sith species as well as the subsequent Sith Order, though the Great Hyperspace War against the Republic saw the ruin of the Sith Empire. Millennia later, Vitiate, Emperor of the reconstituted Sith Empire, grew weary of the restraints placed upon him by the Sith and his Empire. Freeing himself, he split his consciousness into a new body—Valkorion, and set to work forging a new empire from the swamps of the planet Zakuul; the Eternal Empire. It became immensely powerful, all the while remaining concealed from the rest of the galaxy in Wild Space.
Centuries later, the Sith returned to the known galaxy, initiating the Great Galactic War against the unsuspecting Republic. Early in the war, the Empire stormed Korriban, overwhelming the few Republic defenders. The abandoned Sith Academy, previously used three centuries earlier during the Jedi Civil War, once again saw use, turning out only the most powerful Acolytes.
Decades later, following the Treaty of Coruscant, the tension between the Empire and Republic overflowed, spilling into yet another war. Late in the conflict, Valkorion's twin sons, Arcann and Thexan, proposed a plan; test the capabilities of the Republic and Empire in combat. Valkorion agreed, granting Thexan control of the Eternal Fleet, though he ordered that Arcann remain on Zakuul. However, Arcann disobeyed his father's wishes and led the assault alongside his brother anyway. They fought on many worlds, before finally striking at Korriban.
- "Acceptable casualties, on our side. Darth Atroxa remains a threat, but I'm confident she will be neutralized. With her downfall, victory will be ours."
The Eternal Fleet, composed of several battleships and starfighters descended on Korriban, facing fierce resistance from the Sith's own naval forces. The Knights of Zakuul, led by Arcann and Thexan advanced on the Sith Academy on foot. They clashed with the Sith under the command of Darth Atroxa, whose forces were composed of Sith Warriors, as well as Acolytes and overseers from the Academy.  However, Arcann was grievously wounded in battle. As several Knights stood guard, the surgeons operated upon Arcann. He was later taken away from the battle to an encampment, where he thrashed in pain for hours before finally succumbing to sleep. There, he was further performed upon; by the end of the ordeal, he had been fitted with a replacement cybernetic arm and eye—the latter part of his durasteel mask made to protect his burnt face and intimidate his foes.
While Arcann was incapacitated, Thexan updated Valkorion on the status of the battle, who seemingly didn't care about his son's injuries, remarking that he "paid the price for defiance" in leaving Zakuul. The following day, Arcann was on his feet again, where he led a renewed assault during an intense sandstorm. Darth Atroxa, the Sith commander, met her end by his lightsaber after he used his cybernetic arm to twist her wrist. This disarmed her, allowing him to land the finishing blow.
- "I was training on Korriban when the Eternal Empire's forces attacked. I learned afterwards that Arcann and his brother led the invasion."
- ―Veeroa Denz
The Attack on Korriban was a crushing defeat for the Sith. Not only had they suffered heavy casualties, but considerable damage had been done to one of the most prominent academies for the training of prospective Sith. Though not as extensive as that of the Sith, the Eternal Empire had sustained sizable losses during the battle. As a result of the raids, many Acolytes fled and settled down to live their lives without interference from the Sith or the Eternal Empire, such as Veeroa Denz on Nar Shaddaa. When the raids were concluded, the Eternal Empire returned to Zakuul. A joint Republic-Imperial taskforce led by Darth Marr was dispatched to locate the source of these unknown assailants. During the ensuing skirmish, Imperial forces identified the Eternal Fleet as belonging to the same force that had earlier invaded Korriban.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Attack on Korriban served as the event to establish how Arcann had sustained his injuries and received his cybernetic replacements, which led to his change of personality to a darker tone. It made its first appearance in the 2015 cinematic trailer, Sacrifice, which promoted the then upcoming expansion for the video game Star Wars: The Old Republic, titled Knights of the Fallen Empire. The short story, Brothers, published a month after the cinematic, detailed Thexan's perspective on the battle. The expansion itself was released later that year, where Veeroa Denz, an Acolyte training in the Sith Academy during the attack, gave further insight into the battle in the Star Fortress quest line. It also received a brief mention within the in-game codex entry for Arcann, as well as during Chapter I: The Hunt.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Using information from the novel The Old Republic: Annihilation and Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire, the events of Game Updates 2.0 through 3.3 for Star Wars: The Old Republic can be placed in the time period between 3640 BBY and 3637 BBY. According to The Old Republic's lead designer Charles Boyd (screenshot), the game's events can be assumed to occur in a timeline matching that of their real-time release. Therefore, the events of Game Update 3.2: Rise of the Emperor can be placed in approximately 3637 BBY, just prior to Chapter I of Fallen Empire.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire—Chapter I: The Hunt
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 3.20
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire—Codex Entry: "Arcann"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 According to the novel The Old Republic: Annihilation, the Treaty of Coruscant collapsed in 3642 BBY, and Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire states that Choza Raabat disappeared two years before that, or 3644 BBY. The game also establishes that Raabat's disappearance occurred twelve years before the events of Fallen Empire, so Chapters II-VII of Fallen Empire must take place in 3632 BBY, and Chapter I—which takes place five years prior to the rest of the expansion—in 3637 BBY. Chapter IX and the post-chapter content span a number of months, between the years 3632 and 3631 BBY. Since the Attack on Korriban occurs between the Invasion of Ziost, which takes place in 3637 BBY, and the Chapter I in Knights of the Fallen Empire, the Attack on Korriban must also occur in 3637 BBY.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire—Mission: "Nar Shaddaa: The Resistance" on Nar Shaddaa
- ↑ 7.00 7.01 7.02 7.03 7.04 7.05 7.06 7.07 7.08 7.09 7.10 7.11 7.12 7.13 7.14 7.15
- ↑ 9.0 9.1
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire—Chapter II: A Dream of Empire
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire—Codex Entry: "Valkorion"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire—Codex Entry: "Zakuul"
- ↑ Timeline 6: Onslaught of the Sith Empire
- ↑ Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia, p. 164
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia, p. 19
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire—Companions & Contacts menu