- "That was some diversion, Sabine. Did the job so well, we can see the explosion from here."
- ―Hera Syndulla, to Sabine Wren, aboard the Ghost
Five years before the Battle of Yavin, Sabine Wren attacked a TIE fighter airfield on the Outer Rim planet of Lothal. The attack, in which she destroyed a TIE fighter, was meant as a diversion to allow the Ghost, upon which Wren was a member of the crew, to lift off nearby without the Imperial forces detecting them. As a result of her successful attack, Wren was placed onto Lothal's most-wanted list.
Before joining the Spectres, the Mandalorian teenager Sabine Wren was a cadet at the Imperial Academy on Mandalore. Following a nightmarish experience there, Sabine and decided to desert the Empire and join the Black Sun crime syndicate as bounty hunters along with her friend Ketsu Onyo. However, Ketsu then betrayed Wren and left her for dead. Sabine eventually encountered a rebel cell led by the Twi'lek pilot Hera Syndulla, who gave her a second chance in life. As a result, Sabine became involved in the growing rebellion against the Galactic Empire.
On one occasion, the Spectres wanted to leave the planet Lothal on their ship Ghost without attracting the attention of the local Imperial authorities, who were familiar with their vessel. In order to leave Lothal's Capital City, Sabine and her rebel comrades came up with a plan to creation a diversion at a nearby TIE fighter landing platform. Putting her plan into action, Wren infiltrated the airfield and began spraying graffiti on the side of a TIE fighter.
However, she was quickly cornered by two stormtroopers MB-223 and TK-626, who ordered her to stand down at gunpoint. Undaunted, a defiant Sabine goaded them into shooting her. While the stormtroopers were distracted, Wren took the chance to slip away. She then led her Imperial pursuers on a wild pursuit through the airfield, with Wren taunting them along the way. One of the stormtroopers TK-626 quickly called for reinforcements.
While the stormtroopers were regrouping, Sabine took the opportunity to spray paint a rebel symbol, the Starbird, onto the wing of a TIE fighter. Before running off, Wren added a paint bomb to it. Shortly later, the stormtroopers spotted the graffiti and the attached explosive too little to late. The resulting explosion destroyed the TIE fighter and created enough noise that allowed the Ghost to slip away into the skies. The stormtroopers survived the explosion due to their armor but were covered in paint. Sabine watched the Imperials' distress with much delight.
Due to her involvement in the attack on the Imperial airfield, Sabine Wren was placed onto Lothal's most-wanted list. This attack, along with a string of other attacks by the Spectres including the Heist in Capital City, attracted the attention of the Imperial Security Bureau Agent Kallus; who viewed the rebel activities on Lothal as signifying the spark of a rebellion.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Attack on a Lothal airfield served as the plot for the three-minute Star Wars Rebels shot "Art Attack", which premiered online and on Disney XD on August 18, 2014. This short was later adapted into a chapter in the junior chapter book Rise of the Rebels and Jennifer Heddle's young reader book Sabine's Art Attack.
- Star Wars Rebels – "Art Attack"
- Sabine's Art Attack
- Rise of the Rebels (First appearance)
- The Rebellion Begins (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Fire Across the Galaxy" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Rebels: Fight the Empire (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Machine in the Ghost"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 Star Wars Rebels – "Art Attack"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The events of this article take place in or between Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion, which takes place in the fifth year before the Battle of Yavin; and "Empire Day," which marks the beginning of the fourth year before the Battle of Yavin. As such, we can deduce that this event takes place in the fifth year before the Battle of Yavin. For more information, see Wookieepedia's Timeline of Star Wars Rebels Events.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Rebellion Begins
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Out of Darkness"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Blood Sisters"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Spark of Rebellion"