The B1 grapple droid was a type of B1 battle droid used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during its campaigns against the Galactic Republic in the Clone Wars. The droids were designed by Geonosians for hand-to-hand combat, although the B2 variant of grapple droid was proven to be more effective.
A variant of B1 battle droid, B1 grapple droids were crafted in the likeness of their Geonosian designers; the droids stood at a height of 1.93 meters, with white-and-green plating, black photoreceptors, and a simple vocabulator. Manufactured by Baktoid Armor Workshop and Baktoid Combat Automata, the droids were equipped with comlink booster packs and armed with grapple claws for hand-to-hand combat.
During the Clone Wars, the galactic conflict between the Confederacy of Independent Systems and the Galactic Republic, B1 grapple droids operated in the Separatist Droid Army of the Confederacy military. In addition to B1 grapple droids, the Separatist Droid Army utilized B2 grapple droids, which were more effective in combat.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Call in Melee troops to intercept the enemy."
- ―Description of melee units in Star Wars: Galactic Defense
B1 grapple droids first appeared in the tower defense mobile game Star Wars: Galactic Defense, which was developed by DeNA Co., Ltd., released on October 30, 2014, and retired in 2016. The first appearance of the droids in the Star Wars Legends continuity came in Star Wars: Episode I Jedi Power Battles, a video game released in 2000.
In Galactic Defense, B1 grapple droids were a type of melee unit in the "Dark Side" missions, and players could deploy them to defend against waves of enemy units, such as clone troopers and Jedi. The droids would be deployed in groups of three, and they could be upgraded to B2 grapple droids. Although Galactic Defense only referred to B1 grapple droids as "Melee troops," and the plating colors of the droids resembled those of the plasma battle droids from Episode I Jedi Power Battles, the units were identified as B1 grapple droids in the Galactic Defense launch trailer.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense (First appearance)
- (First identified as B1 grapple droid)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded states that B1 battle droids were created by Geonosians in their likeness, manufactured by Baktoid Armor Workshop, and equipped with a simple vocabulator. Since Star Wars: Galactic Defense depicted B1 grapple droids as a type of B1 battle droid, this article assumes that the B1 grapple droid shares these traits.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Ultimate Star Wars states that B1 battle droids were manufactured by Baktoid Combat Automata and equipped with a comlink booster pack. Since Star Wars: Galactic Defense depicted B1 grapple droids as a type of B1 battle droid, this article assumes that the B1 grapple droid shares these traits.
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 Star Wars: Galactic Defense (shutdown date)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 B1 battle droids stood at a height of 1.93 meters. Since Star Wars: Galactic Defense depicted B1 grapple droids as a type of B1 battle droid, this article assumes that the B1 grapple droid similarly stands at that height. states that
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Episode I Jedi Power Battles