Basilisk was home to the Basiliskans, an intelligent lizard species. They were the creators of the Basilisk war droids, that were rumored to be modeled after themselves. During their war with the Mandalorians around the year 4017 BBY, the Basiliskans chemically poisoned their own planet, in a last effort to defeat their conquerors. Despite receiving Jedi and Republic reinforcements under Sidrona Diath at the Battle of Basilisk, the Mandalorians conquered the planet and enslaved the remaining Basiliskans.
After the war, the Mandalorians found a new use for the Basiliskans. With their tough hides and claws, with which they could be trained, and their intelligence, the Mandalorians used them as weapons for aerial and ground fighting during later wars. Because of this the Basiliskans degenerated and became nothing more than beasts. As such, they were re-named the Lagartoz War Dragons.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith 1: Masters and Students of the Force (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Codex entry)
- Star Wars: Rebellion (First appearance)
- "Straight from the Horse's Mouth: A Guide to the Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi Universe, Part 3"—Star Wars Insider 28
- Star Wars: Rebellion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- The Essential Guide to Droids
- "The History of the Mandalorians"—Star Wars Insider 80
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Galaxy at War
- The Essential Guide to Warfare