Basiliskans were an intelligent lizard species native to the planet Basilisk in the Core Worlds region of the galaxy. They were the creators of the Basilisk war droids, that were rumored to be modeled after themselves. During their war with the Mandalorians, the Basiliskans chemically poisoned their own planet, in a last ditch effort to defeat their conquerors.
After the war the Mandalorians found a new use for the Basiliskans. With their tough hides, large claws and intelligence, the Mandalorians used them as mounts for aerial and ground fighting during later wars including the New Sith Wars. Because of this, the Basiliskans degenerated, losing their intelligence and becoming mere beasts. As such, since the Battle of Basilisk in 4017 BBY, they were re-named the Lagartoz War Dragons.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Codex entry)
- Lone Wolf: A Tale of Obi-Wan and Luke
- Star Wars Galaxies (Mentioned only)
- Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "The History of the Mandalorians"—Star Wars Insider 80
- The Essential Guide to Warfare