The battle for Kuat Drive Yards, also known as the assault on Kuat, was a battle fought between the New Republic and the Galactic Empire in the months following the Battle of Endor for the Kuat Drive Yards, orbiting the Core World planet of Kuat. The New Republic Defense Fleet inflicted heavy casualties on the defending Imperial forces. Following the surrender of the Imperial authorities and the guild head of Kuat Drive Yards, Grand Admiral Rae Sloane, the public leader of the Imperial remnant forces in the Vulpinus Nebula, proposed peace talks with the New Republic's political and military leaders.
During the Age of the Empire, Kuat Drive Yards was a major producer of starships for the Imperial Navy. Following the Battle of Endor, the Galactic Empire splintered into several remnants. The Rebel Alliance transitioned into the New Republic and gained control over large areas of the galaxy.
In 5 ABY, the reconvened Galactic Senate on Chandrila authorized an attack on the planet Kuat and its surrounding shipyards. Elements of the New Republic Defense Fleet under Admiral Gial Ackbar and Commodore Kyrsta Agate launched an assault on the Kuat Drive Yards shipyards above the Core Worlds planet Kuat. This assault involved a bombing campaign of the shipyards and supply bases around Kuat. The battle lasted several weeks and the Empire lost more ships than the New Republic. Due to the heavy losses, Moff Pollus Maksim, the sector's governor and the guild head of Kuat Drive Yards surrendered.
Following the battle, Princess Leia Organa contacted Admiral Ackbar and Commodore Agate via hologram to congratulate them for their victory. The New Republic victory deprived the Galactic Empire of a major source of weapons. Princess Leia was a New Republic senator who had played an important role in mustering sufficient votes to authorize the attack on Kuat. Shortly later, Chancellor Mon Mothma contacted Ackbar, Agate, and Leia to inform them that the mysterious Imperial informant known as the Operator was seeking to contact the New Republic leadership.
Grand Admiral Rae Sloane then joined the hologram conversation and claimed to be the Operator. Sloane was the leader of the largest Imperial remnant which was based in the Vulpinus Nebula. With the Empire facing defeat, Sloane proposed to discuss peace with the New Republic. Believing that the end of the war was in sight, Chancellor Mothma agreed to convene an emergency session of the Senate to discuss Sloane's offer. In truth, the peace talks were a ruse by the Imperial Fleet Admiral Gallius Rax to assassinate the New Republic leadership on Chandrila.
Behind the scenesEdit
The battle for Kuat Drive Yards first appeared in Aftermath: Life Debt, a canon adult novel written by Chuck Wendig. The battle also made an appearance in the short story Blade Squadron: Kuat in the 168th issue of the Star Wars Insider magazine.
- Aftermath: Life Debt (First appearance)
- "Blade Squadron: Kuat"—Star Wars Insider 168 (First pictured)
- Aftermath: Empire's End (Indirect mention only)
- "Blade Squadron: Jakku"—Star Wars Insider 172 (Indirect mention only)
- (First identified as assault on Kuat)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Endor to 4 ABY and the events of Shattered Empire, Part IV, which take place three months after the battle, to 5 ABY. Furthermore, the novel Aftermath states that months have passed since the Battle of Endor, while Aftermath: Life Debt begins two months after the end of Aftermath. Therefore, the events of Aftermath: Life Debt begin at least four months after the Battle of Endor, which corresponds to 5 ABY. Additionally, Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Jakku, as depicted in Life Debt's sequel, Aftermath: Empire's End, to 5 ABY as well, thereby firmly placing Aftermath: Life Debt in 5 ABY.
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 "Blade Squadron: Kuat"—Star Wars Insider 168