- "Despite what General Var Suthra believes, I've known about this outpost for some time. Your imminent arrival forced me to take action. My mission is to protect the Empire from Doctor Godera's weapons. I'm afraid I can't let you have him."
- ―Watcher One
Near the end of the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire, Imperial Military forces under the command of Watcher One attacked a laboratory of the scientist Doctor Nasan Godera in the Republic Resettlement Zone on Taris. Watcher One, an operative of Imperial Intelligence, was searching for Godera and was successful in using the facility to triangulate Godera's location, though after he departed the Imperial soldiers were killed when a young Jedi Knight and a companion arrived at the lab in search of Godera. Watcher One deployed troopers and battle droids equipped with stealth field generators to take the Knight by surprise, but the Jedi emerged victorious and continued the race to locate Godera.
- "The Republic is recolonizing Taris. Recently, we found evidence that our missing doctor has been here for years. Reconnaissance discovered one of Godera's outposts in the swamp. It's entirely automated. Nothing but droids inside, and they're not cooperating."
- ―General Var Suthra
In 3643 BBY, during the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire, the Sith Lord Tarnis was killed in a duel with a young Jedi Knight when Tarnis attempted to use the Planet Prison superweapon against the Republic capital of Coruscant. Tarnis's death incurred the wrath of his father, Darth Angral, who declared a war of vengeance upon the Republic and the Jedi Order in retribution, and Angral dispatched his three Sith apprentices to capture several Republic superweapon projects that Tarnis—who had been posing as a Republic scientist before his death—had told his father about.
Tarnis also conveyed information indicating that Doctor Nasan Godera, a brilliant Republic scientist who had left the Republic after the Treaty of Coruscant ended the Great Galactic War with the Empire a decade prior, was on the planet Taris. Angral therefore dispatched Watcher One of Imperial Intelligence to Taris with a number of Imperial soldiers to retrieve Godera. Watcher One knew of the existence of a number of underground laboratories belonging to Godera, though the facilities were staffed only by droids, and he began searching the planet for Godera himself. However, Republic General Var Suthra dispatched the Jedi Knight who had killed Tarnis; the Knight's Padawan, Kira Carsen; and the Knight's astromech droid, T7-O1, to Taris to also look for Godera.
- "As fortune would have it, Doctor Godera will be in my custody shortly. You've already failed. I see my reinforcements are finally in position."
- ―Watcher One
When Watcher One became aware of the trio's arrival, he led a unit of Imperial stealth operatives, battle droids, and Imperial Intelligence officers to secure the lab in the Republic Resettlement Zone, the closest facility to the Republic's Olaris Reclamation Base, where the Jedi had landed. The Resettlement Zone facility had already been discovered by the Republic, and General Suthra had stationed a small team of four Republic troopers at the facility to monitor it. His forces quickly wiped out the droid staff and Suthra's team, and Godera used the facility's tracking relays to trace Godera's bioscan to a laboratory in the Brell Sediment area. He left after destroying the central computer to prevent others from doing the same, leaving his men behind to guard the lab. The Jedi and a companion soon arrived and fought their way through the Imperial forces that they encountered as they descended into the now-wrecked lab, and the two defeated almost a dozen Imperial stealth operatives and battle droids as they cleared the lab of hostiles. An Imperial assassin and two assassin droids attacked the pair on the lower level, but they too were defeated.
The assassin had been speaking with Watcher One via a holoprojector, and Watcher One—already on his way to Godera's location—addressed the Jedi as the Knight approached the device. The agent also contacted his forces nearby and dispatched a number of operatives and droids to the lab. Speaking to the Jedi, Watcher One began to stall for time so that his operatives could get into place, revealing his knowledge of the Jedi's exploits on the Jedi Order's homeworld of Tython as a way of undermining the Knight's confidence. When the Knight brushed off Watcher One's comments, Watcher One ordered his operatives to decloak and take out the Jedi before he terminated the transmission. Despite their advantage of surprise, however, the three Imperial operatives and two droids who attacked the Knight were ultimately defeated by the Jedi and the Knight's companion.
- "Watcher One reprogrammed this facility's tracking relays. He traced Doctor Godera's encrypted bioscan to its present location."
After defeating Watcher One's forces, the Jedi was greeted by Godera's droid assistant RE-M0, who had remained hidden when the Imperials attacked the lab. RE-M0 then repaired the central computer while the Knight reset the external tracking relays around the area. With the droid's help, the Jedi tracked Godera's biosignature to the Brell Sediment lab just in time to encounter Watcher One's forces securing the facility, though Watcher One escaped with Godera in the resultant fight. However, RE-M0 ran a second bioscan on Godera shortly after the Jedi departed, and he was able to detect that Godera had been moved from that lab. He followed the Jedi to the Brell Sediment lab and warned the Knight of Watcher One's deception, exposing the Imperial's attempt to convince the Jedi that Godera was dead.
Behind the scenesEdit
The battle in the Resettlement Zone lab first appeared in "The Architect of Annihilation," a mission for the Jedi Knight class in Star Wars: The Old Republic, a video game released by BioWare in 2011.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "New Intelligence" on Ord Mantell
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Catching Up With Watcher One" on Taris
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 3.20 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "The Architect of Annihilation" on Taris
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Using comments and information from The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2, The Last Battle of Colonel Jace Malcom, and The Old Republic: Annihilation, it is possible to place the events of the Prologue and Act I for the Jedi Knight, Smuggler, and Trooper classes in Star Wars: The Old Republic in 3643 BBY, the general events of Act II in 3642 BBY, and the events of Act III for all classes in 3641 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "The Architect of Annihilation" on Taris can be completed with either Kira Carsen or T7-O1 as the active companion.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Race to the Ruins" on Coruscant