|Battle of Cato Neimoidia|
Galactic Republic victory
The Battle of Cato Neimoidia, also known as the siege of Cato Neimoidia, was an attempt by the Galactic Republic to capture Nute Gunray, Viceroy of the Trade Federation and a prominent member of the Separatist Council, during the Clone Wars.
With a large Republic counterattack against the Core World gains made in Operation Durge's Lance, General Grievous had ordered all members of the Council to retreat to a rendezvous point in the Outer Rim Territories. Gunray, however, fled to the purse world, Cato Neimoidia, with a battle group of Federation warships, intending to loot his personal citadel before it fell to the Republic onslaught. Republic Intelligence obtained information as to his whereabouts, and a task force led by Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker was pulled from the Outer Rim Sieges and sent to wait in ambush.
A trio of Venator-class Star Destroyers commanded by Jan Dodonna engaged the Trade Federation armada in the upper atmosphere and provided air support, while the two Jedi led their army of clone troopers in an assault on the citadel, where Gunray and the Trade Federation elite were trapped. The battle raged throughout the skies of the planet’s western hemisphere, and on the peninsula upon which the viceroy’s tiered stronghold—the inspiration for the command towers of the Trade Federation Core Ships—was located.
After an initial aerial bombardment, the main clone force attacked from the northeast shore and hammered the citadel´s energy shields, but took heavy fire from turbolaser cannons in the lower ramparts. Generals Kenobi and Skywalker led a smaller force of clones through an orchard of Manax trees outside the fort, and with the help of Commander Cody and the elite Squad Seven infiltrated the fungus farms located underneath the structure. From there the Jedi accessed the upper levels and began pursuing Gunray and his entourage as they tried to reach their shuttle.
During the mission, some complications arose where Obi-Wan, having lost his rebreathator, accidentially inhaled a box of hallucinogenic spores, which caused him to go slightly crazy. However, at the same time, it also allowed Obi-Wan to exercise his inner potential, saving Anakin from Gunray's Mechno-chair.
Although Gunray just managed to escape, Cato Neimoidia—one of the last Separatist strongholds within the Colonies—was captured. More importantly, Republic forces captured Gunray's Mechno-chair containing a message from Darth Sidious, which thus linked the Dark Lord of the Sith to the Confederacy, as well as the communication codes that the Separatist Council used to communicate with him and each other.
Skywalker and Kenobi, along with their forces, were withdrawn for use in the Outer Rim to hunt down the makers of the Mechno-chair in order to track down Darth Sidious, although they ended up sidetracked due to Chancellor Palpatine's abduction by General Grievous. Obi-Wan also preferred to not count this battle as one of the times Anakin rescued him, which he reminded him after rescuing the Chancellor.
Despite the Republic victory on Cato Neimoidia, the Separatist forces were not defeated and they continued to fight off the Republic troops. Jedi Masters Plo Koon and Ferroda were later sent to the planet to coordinate mopping-up operations against continued resistance, and was killed during Order 66.
- Labyrinth of Evil (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith junior novelization (Mentioned only)
- Millennium Falcon (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- The New Essential Chronology
- The New Essential Guide to Droids (First identified as siege of Cato Neimoidia)
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Special Edition
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 8
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 23
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 32
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 33
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- The Essential Guide to Warfare (Indirect mention only)
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook