Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "I've received word an Imperial officer, Crix Madine, wants to defect. Apparently he has a lot of information on the Empire's military ground operations. I'm gonna contact him after my meeting with the city officials in the capital tower. Keep your eyes open for any sign of trouble."
- ―General Rieekan's briefing
This battle took place on Corellia in 1 ABY. It occurred when the Imperial officer Crix Madine, who was interested in joining the Alliance to Restore the Republic, requested a proper meeting with the Alliance general Carlist Rieekan to discuss the terms of his defection. Three members of the elite Alliance flight Rogue Squadron manning T-47 airspeeders, commanded by Luke Skywalker, accompanied Rieekan to Coronet City, capital of Corellia, to patrol the city for any signs of Imperial presence while the meeting took place.
An Imperial strike team interrupted the meeting and attempted to kill both Rieekan and the Imperial turncoat by destroying the Tech Center and the Coronet Capital Tower while they were still inside. The timely intervention of Han Solo and Chewbacca in the Millennium Falcon, as well as the arrival of evacuation shuttles, allowed for the Alliance to extract both Rieekan and Madine just before the Capital Tower collapsed.
- "This contemptible excuse for an officer will no longer divulge any more information to that Rebel, Kyle Katarn."
- ―General Rom Mohc holding Madine at gunpoint
After the Galactic Empire lost the search for the Rebel Alliance starship Nonnah, internal security in the Empire was tightened, and any hint of treason was dealt with swiftly. Imperial Commander Crix Madine had attempted to defect to the Alliance prior to the Battle of Yavin, and, to prove his loyalty, Madine provided essential guidance for the sabotage of Operation Strike Fear and the destruction of the Star Destroyer Invincible. However, it was the order to release the Candorian Plague on Dentaal that convinced Madine it was time to leave for good.
Wracked with guilt over his role in the death of the entire Dentaalian population, Madine left his unit while performing a training mission in 1.8 ABY. Madine erased himself from Imperial records, although his disappearance was covered by some HoloNet news channels. He did not even tell his fiancée where he was going, not wanting to place her in a dangerous situation.
During this period, Madine provided clues to the Rebellion about the Dark Trooper project; eventually he was captured by General Rom Mohc and imprisoned in Orinackra, where he awaited execution. Upon learning of his capture, Mon Mothma dispatched Kyle Katarn to rescue Madine, who revealed Mohc's role in the project. He also provided the Alliance with intelligence on two subsequent targets to sabotage the Dark Trooper project.
Following his escape from Orinackra, Madine fled to his safehouse on Corellia. From there, he requested a meeting with General Carlist Rieekan of the Rebel Alliance to discuss his defection. Rieekan accepted his request and was escorted to Coronet City by Rogue Squadron, under the command of Luke Skywalker. Before meeting with Madine, Rieekan was to attend a conference with Coronet City officials in the Coronet Capital Tower.
- "That was never my favorite building anyway."
- ―Han Solo watching TIE Bombers destroy the Capital Tower
Commander Luke Skywalker and a detachment of Rogue Squadron were assigned to patrol the city in their airspeeders for any signs of Imperial activity. After Wedge Antilles picked up strange transmissions, they flew to the outskirts of the city and found a squad of probe droids. It turned out to be a diversion, however, in which squadrons of TIE bombers attacked the Capital Tower during the Rogues' absence.
Rogue Squadron rushed back to defend the city, while another squadron of bombers moved in on the Tech Center in which Madine was hiding. The Rogues had routed most of the bombers attacking the Tower before they received a transmission from Madine, stating that the Imperials had begun attacking the Center. Skywalker left to protect him, as the rest of Rogue Squadron, along with the new arrival of Han Solo and Chewbacca in the Millennium Falcon, took care of the remaining bombers at the Capital Tower.
By the time the Tech Center was safe, the Imperials had deployed an AT-AT walker, which moved to attack the Tower. It was then that Luke used Imperial defector Davin Felth's advice, and tripped up the walker with his tow cable. After the remaining bombers were destroyed, the Falcon and a Rebel Lambda-class T-4a shuttle began evacuating the Capital Tower. At the same time, stormtroopers invaded the beaches in Amphibions, but the Rebel defense batteries managed to keep most of the troops out of the city.
The Imperials resumed their attack on Madine with a pair of AT-ST walkers leading another AT-AT, while a squad of Stormtroopers attempted to break into the tech center. Luke drove the Imperials off, while a second evacuation shuttle arrived to pick up Madine. With Madine's successful defection, and the evacuation of the Capital Tower, Rogue Squadron withdrew from the planet. The Capital Tower was destroyed as soon as the Rebel force departed.
Madine would go on to be a successful Rebel Alliance general, serving in battles such as the Battle of Endor, and would go on to be a general of the New Republic. One of his first missions with the Alliance was commanding Gold Squadron during the Liberation of Gerrard V, during which he would once again be involved with the actions of Rogue Squadron. In 12 ABY, while leading a commando team to sabotage the Darksaber superweapon, Madine was captured and killed by Durga Besadii Tai the Hutt. In his honor, the General Crix Madine Military Reserve was constructed over Coruscant during the reformation of the New Republic into the Galactic Alliance.
Behind the scenesEdit
Rogue Squadron's mission to rescue General Rieekan and Crix Madine first appeared in the Nintendo 64 video game Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, as the game's fourth mission, "Defection at Corellia". In this level, the player for the first time is required to use the harpoon and tow cable of a T-47 airspeeder against an AT-AT in order to complete the mission successfully. As the Battle of Corellia takes place in the timeline prior to the Battle of Hoth, during which Luke Skywalker supposedly devised the strategy for downing the four-legged walkers, this element of the mission may be non-canon and chalked up to game mechanics.
Han Solo's entrance into the battle, in which he saves a Rebel pilot by swooping down from above, and then shooting down the TIE bombers chasing him, all while shouting "Yee-haw!", is similar to how he saves Luke Skywalker at the Battle of Yavin.
If the Nintendo 64 version of Rogue Squadron is played with the default Jumper Pak installed in the console, all TIE fighters that are present in this level are replaced with TIE bombers due to technical limitations in the game's memory.
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- The Essential Chronology
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 21 (SKY10, Luke Skywalker)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 130 (MAD3, General Crix Madine)
- The New Essential Chronology
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 7
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 10
- The Essential Atlas
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ As the Mission to Cal-Seti and the Battle of Corellia are concurrent, the Mission to Orinackra must precede both. Also, Madine is freed by Katarn at Orinackra, and the Alliance smuggles him back to Corellia where the Imperials attempt to kill him.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Dark Forces
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 3.20 3.21 3.22 3.23 3.24 3.25 3.26 3.27 3.28 3.29 3.30 3.31 3.32 3.33 3.34 3.35 Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
- ↑ "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 6 places the outbreak of the Candorian plague on Dentaal on 36:2:12, which falls in 0 ABY. The Official Star Wars Fact File 130 (MAD2-3, General Crix Madine) tie together the events of Star Wars: Dark Forces and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, and Madine's own recollections in Darksaber as follows: upon learning of the Dark Trooper Project, Madine alerts the Rebel Alliance to the project's existence, thus starting the events of Dark Forces. Shortly afterwards, Madine is ordered to release the Candorian plague on Dentaal, an event which is dated to 36:2:12 per the Adventure Journal. Madine vanishes into the wilderness shortly afterwards, spending a week in the jungles of Dentaal before escaping and fleeing the planet—only to be captured almost immediately by General Rom Mohc and imprisoned on Orinackra. Kyle Katarn then frees Madine from Orinackra, and Madine is then involved in the battle at Corellia. The New Essential Chronology states that only a short amount of time passed between Madine telling the Alliance about the Dark Troopers and his defection. The length of time Madine spends on the run places his capture and imprisonment on Orinackra firmly in the month 36:3, or the first month of 1 ABY. Therefore, the events of Dark Forces prior to the mission to Orinackra fall in 0 ABY, and the remainder of the game and the battle at Corellia both occur in 1 ABY.
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Darksaber
- ↑ When the Desert Wind Turns: The Stormtrooper's Tale
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Legacy of the Force: Tempest