- "Remember, let the Y-wings take care of the yachts, Rogue Squadron flies cover."
- ―Rebel Alliance coordinator
The Liberation of Gerrard V was an event in 1 ABY during the Galactic Civil War in which the planet Gerrard V gained its independence from the Galactic Empire. It occurred after a ransacking of the city by the local Imperial governor in anticipation of an uprising by Gerrard V's inhabitants against the Empire's rule. The insurgents were quickly reinforced by the Rebel Alliance, who deployed the starfighter outfits Rogue Squadron and Gold Squadron to disable the fleeing yachts and neutralize the capital city's turbolaser defense grid.
During the course of the battle, Kasan Moor, commander of the 128th TIE Interceptor Squadron, surrendered to Gold Squadron and offered defection to the Rebellion. Shortly after her surrender, the rest of the Imperial defenders were scattered, and the planet was freed from Imperial subjugation. Because of Moor's later assistance, the battle would be the first victory in a long string of victories against the Galactic Empire.
- "Gerrard V is attempting to gain its independence, but the Imperial governor is looting the city. Rogue Squadron, you must protect Crix Madine's Y-wings while they disable the escaping ships."
- ―General Rieekan's briefing
A failed revolt against the Empire had taken place two years prior. After the initial uprising, the Empire responded by bombarding the surface with fire from an orbiting fleet. Much of the planet's surface was left in ruins and the ecosystem became imbalanced. The population endured Imperial subjugation until 1 ABY, gathering its strength until they were united enough to stage another revolt.
After concluding that the inhabitants of Gerrard V were pooling their resources for an attack on the Imperials, the local governor sent a squad of SoroSuub Personal Luxury Yacht 3000 transports to loot the planet of its military supplies and anything else that was valuable before he lost the world. As the insurgents' resources dwindled, their leader sent a distress signal to the Rebel Alliance, calling for backup.
- "Luke, it's Wedge. I'm on the other side of the planet. We've got trouble. It's the 128th TIE Interceptor Squadron. They're the best of the best."
- ―Wedge Antilles
General Crix Madine of the Rebel Alliance, recently defected from the Galactic Empire, received the call. In response, he deployed Gold Squadron to reinforce the insurgents and disable the fleeing Imperial yachts. As backup, he appointed Rogue Squadron, the same unit led by Luke Skywalker that extracted him from Imperial detainment from Corellia.
Upon entering the capital city's borders, the turbolasers planted around the city that had been used to keep the planet under order opened fire on the attacking Rebels. Rogue Squadron provided support fire by focusing their fire on these cannons. As the turbolasers were all destroyed, a squad of seven AT-PT walkers rushed into the city, stationing themselves on the hillsides, though this was not difficult for the Rogues to handle. Gold Squadron eventually finished their ion cannon runs on the yachts, and were prepared to move on to the next district.
The 128th TIE Interceptor Squadron, under Lieutenant Kasan Moor, suddenly appeared from the horizon over the sea and swarmed the insurgents. Despite the sudden rush of hostile forces, Gold Squadron flew into the crossfire and continued their mission. The turbolaser tower overlooking the city was taken down by Rogue Squadron, and the last of the yachts were immobilized. Kasan Moor found herself tailgated and harassed by a Gold Squadron member, disabling her control systems via ion cannon. Moor surrendered and offered the Gold Squadron member an offer of defection. In the end, at least 33 Imperials were killed in the crossfire.
- "But if you would quit shooting at me I have a proposal to make, one which would serve us all."
- ―Kasan Moor
Gold Squadron's mission was a success, and the city's supplies were returned. Gerrard V successfully pulled itself away from Imperial authority. Kasan Moor, true to her word, successfully defected and became a pilot for Rogue Squadron. She had extensive knowledge of Imperial outposts, and would lead the Alliance through string of victories. Shortly after the battle, she led the rebels into a supply depot on the Jade Moon.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Liberation of Gerrard V was depicted in the titular fifth campaign mission of the video game Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, the final mission of Chapter 1.
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (First appearance) (First identified as Liberation of Gerrard V)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 Star Wars: Rogue Squadron mission 5: Liberation of Gerrard V
- ↑ Star Wars: Dark Forces
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Assuming 100% completion of the level—completing objectives required for gold medal, saving all friendly forces and eliminating all enemy presence.
- ↑ "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 3
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue Squadron level 6: The Jade Moon