- "By the time we'd made our way to the molten surface of Mustafar, it was apparent that Dellso had been a busy little bug. All by his lonesome self he'd found a previously hidden droid factory. Fired it up and cranked out his own private army of battle droids. Needless to say this got the men of the 501st a little hot under the helmet, and not just because of all that lava. Truth be told, we'd all had our fill of those gear-heads during the war, and we couldn't stomach the thought of going through another one. So we blew them up, blew up the droids, blew up the factory, damn near blew up the planet."
- ―Retired clone trooper
The Battle of Mustafar was an isolated battle on Mustafar that took place between the Galactic Empire and Separatist holdouts in the early years of Imperial rule. The engagement was fought by the Imperial 501st Legion under the command of Darth Vader, against a secret droid army controlled by Gizor Dellso. The battle resulted in the death of Dellso and the destruction of both his ground and space forces.
- "Although the Clone Wars were over, some people never seem to get the message. The worst case of denial was Gizor Delso, a Geonosian Separatist who'd somehow escaped Lord Vader's efforts to wipe out the remnants of the CIS. Lord Vader tracked him to Mustafar, and brought us in to finish the job."
- ―Unidentified 501st stormtrooper
A Geonosian engineer, Gizor Dellso was a committed and loyal member of the CIS during the Clone Wars. After the assassination of the Separatist Council at the end of the war by Darth Vader, Dellso, in the possession of stolen Imperial starfighter plans, fled to Mustafar where he discovered the remains of his former master, Poggle the Lesser, and the other Separatist Leaders in the control room of the Klegger Corp Mining Facility. Dellso took refuge in a nearby secret bunker where he discovered an entire droid factory sitting dormant. He instantly fired up the factory, and in the short time it took the Empire to find him he had built his own droid army and fleet, which did not respond to Darth Vader's deactivation of the droids. Dellso also planned to use the hidden facility on the planet to create a new type of superior battle droid.
- "It seemed like a simple enough mission, but when we saw the fleet of droid ships, hovering over the planet, we suddenly realized that Delso's denial mechanisms were more dangerous than we'd imagined"
- ―Unidentified 501st stormtrooper
The members of the 501st Legion, under command of Vader, were transported to Mustafar by an Imperial I-class Star Destroyer to crush Gizor Dellso's uprising. However, the ship's hangar was immediately invaded by one of the HMPs from Gizor Dellso's navy, which dispatched OOM pilot battle droids and Droid marines onto the ship. Although one of the pilots panicked when the Empire failed to launch starfighters, the Imperial Officer sent troops out, which held the droids back. To destroy the gunship, Imperial Marines used their rocket launchers and thermal detonators, while the TIE pilots deployed time bombs. After the gunship was destroyed, the marines and pilots then used their blasters to eliminate the remaining invaders.
501st pilots manned their starfighters, and after destroying a small number of Dellso's fighters, successfully knocked out the shields on the Providence-class destroyer. The vulnerable vessel was then pounded by turbolaser blasts from the nearby Star Destroyer, inflicting massive damage to all critical systems.
Dellso's space blockade had been demolished. However, his ground forces, waiting on the planet, were ready for attack.
At Darth Vader's unusual request, a pilot flew into the enemy hangar and stole one Belbullab-24 strike bomber. The fighter was then brought to the Imperial hangar for closer study.
Siege of the mining facilityEdit
- "Any droid we don't destroy today will come back to haunt us tomorrow."
- ―Unidentified Imperial officer, during the battle
501st troopers were deployed on a landing platform outside the droid facility on Mustafar. Many had just stepped foot on the platform when droids shot them dead from the open windows of the entrance corridor. As B2 super battle droids scurried out onto the landing platform, the 501st was able to repel them. They managed to secure their landing zone, then taking losses flooded the corridors and stormed the lava observatory room, which gave them access to an outside walkway. Despite battle droid snipers firing at them, the stormtroopers were able to capture the walkway. Even with remnants of the feared IG-100 MagnaGuards striking at their ranks, the 501st Legion managed to take command over an overlook station from the droid forces. Then, the regrouped stormtroopers rushed into the factory control center, where they were able to destroy both of the droid prototype schematics of a new, unfinished battle droid prototype, ruining Dellso's plans of gaining the upper hand in possible future battles.
Ending the battleEdit
- "The destruction of the mining facility put an end to any thoughts of a second "droid rebellion". For the first time in years the men of the 501st could relax and get about the business of maintaining an Empire rather than building one."
- ―Unidentified 501st Stormtrooper after the battle
A stormtrooper carrying an orbital strike beacon had been shot, and once retrieved, the beacon was set on the overlook to signal for the orbiting Star Destroyer to bombard the base.
However, Gizor Dellso and his Geonosian bodyguards arrived to destroy the remaining stormtroopers, a wild firefight began. Though many stormtroopers were slain, Gizor Dellso was killed along with his remaining droids.
The troopers had just enough time to depart when their overhead forces executed an orbital bombardment command on the Mustafar complex, completely demolishing the droid factory.
Following the battle, the 501st Legion shifted its focus to overseeing the Empire, not constructing one.
In the years following the battle and the destruction of the Droid foundry, the Mensix Mining Facility was built close to the Klegger Corp Mining Facility and was in operation during the Galactic Civil War. This new facility would be the site of a battle between the Imperial Remnant and New Republic forces.
Behind the scenesEdit
The space battle and the surface battle are two campaign missions in Star Wars: Battlefront II. The first mission, the space battle, is optional, like the other space levels in the game's campaign, whereas the battle on the planet's surface is required to advance to the next level.
An exact date for the battle has not been given; however, it is known to have occurred in the early days of the Imperial era, shortly after the Battle of Naboo (Imperial Period), as the events in the game Star Wars: Battlefront II take place in that order.
- Star Wars: Battlefront II (First appearance)