Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "The success of the mission on Mygeeto was something of a revelation for the men of the 501st. Suddenly, we realized that the Jedi could be fooled. And if they could be fooled, they could be killed."
- ―Entry from the Journal of the 501st
The Battle of Mygeeto was one of the longest battles of the Clone Wars, lasting for two years beginning in 21 BBY. In 19 BBY, it became part of the Galactic Republic's Outer Rim Sieges to secure the planets of the Outer Rim Territories.
Early conflicts (21–19 BBY)
- "Let's turn this place into a scrap-pile!"
- ―501st trooper
The first conflicts on Mygeeto began in 21 BBY when the Galactic Marines provided a diversion for Walon Vau and Delta Squad when they secured funds from the Vau family vault below the surface of Mygeeto. Conflict went on for two years until Supreme Chancellor Palpatine declared Mygeeto part of a "Triad of Evil", three planets which formed Separatist bastions. Along with Felucia and Saleucami, Mygeeto was singled out as a prime target whose fall would help end the conflict.
Mundi's arrival (19 BBY)
Republic forces were dispatched to the system and invaded Mygeeto. A light Separatist blockade was easily destroyed and the Republic soon began landing ground forces on the surface. Subsequently, the battle intensified on the planet, which was a major holding of the InterGalactic Banking Clan. Two major units participated in the battle, with a majority of the fierce combat falling upon the Galactic Marines. The unit fought the Separatist Droid Army in extended urban fighting amid the ultramodern towers of a major Mygeetan city. A second unit of the Grand Army involved in the battle were elements of the 501st Legion, who were sent on a special mission from the Chancellor himself.
The 501st, according to Mundi, were dispatched to Mygeeto to destroy an energy collector which powered Separatist facilities in the area. However the true intent of the mission was to secure the Separatist power generator, and to acquire the ancient Mygeetan crystal powering it. The crystal was an experimental power source that the Chancellor required for a top-secret tributary laser-stream project codenamed "Hammertong".
After the Republic landed, the Galactic Marines began pounding the Mygeetan landscape with torpedo bombardments and fuel fires. The 501st were deployed at the southern section of a small city. Only one gunship could land, due to dual particle cannon turrets. Other gunships provided aerial support. An AT-RT was deployed and the 501st assaulted the southernmost bridge. The troopers took the bridge and captured the Confederacy's forward command post. Then the two particle cannon turrets were destroyed, allowing General Mundi to land. Mundi destroyed two shield barricades to allow the 501st troopers to advance. An outpost was captured and additional troopers were landed.
However, things grew complicated when one of Ki-Adi-Mundi's fellow Jedi, Rivi-Anu, ended up shot in the arm and losing her lightsaber when ordered to secure the west flank. In addition, one of the Republic's Venator-class Star Destroyers was shot down over Mygeeto and headed towards the battlefield, placing several Republic forces in jeopardy. Anu instead decided to use the Force to hold off the doomed Star Destroyer long enough for Mundi and the rest of the Republic's forces to evacuate the area, sacrificing her life in the process. Mundi and Eon later reflected on her sacrifice.
Heavy Separatist resistance came from AAT tanks. Also more AA guns were positioned at the north end of the central platform. The 501st, led by General Mundi, pushed the Confederacy battle droids' line across the northern bridge to the building housing the energy collector. Ki-Adi-Mundi disabled shield barricades covering the entrances to the building. Destroyer droids in the compound proved to be a minor problem, and the energy collector core was destroyed. After Mundi had been extracted, the 501st retrieved the crystal samples. The troopers fought through a Separatist counter assault to the southern platform, and extracted the crystals via gunship.
The battle went on for the Galactic Marines. During a concentrated Republic push to rout the Separatists, fighting spread across the cities of Mygeeto. Ki-Adi-Mundi skillfully used his lightsaber to deflect enemy fire, while leading a force of Marines supported by UT-AT assault vehicles and other heavy walkers. Tri-droids provided heavy fire for the Separatist army during the fighting and destroyed several UT-ATs.
The battle intensified on a number of vast bridges, which stretched across a great chasm, linking several city districts. The clones continued to advance across the bridges. It was here that Ki-Adi-Mundi would fight his last battle.
The death of Ki-Adi-Mundi
- "Come on!"
- ―Ki-Adi-Mundi's last words
When Supreme Chancellor Palpatine issued the Declaration of a New Order, General Mundi was still on Mygeeto, commanding Republic forces. As General Mundi rallied his troops on a bridge spanning a chasm between two city blocks, with enemy droids destroying several UT-ATs, Commander Bacara was contacted through a secure, holographic comlink that was frequency-locked to a channel reserved for the Commander-in-Chief. The hologram was of a hooded Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith, ordering him that it was time to execute Order 66.
Bacara complied and moments later, on his order, the clones nearest General Mundi suddenly stopped fighting. Confused, Ki-Adi-Mundi turned around and was blasted by clone fire. The surprised Jedi Master managed to kill three Marines by deflecting their fire before succumbing to his troops' fire.
After Mundi's death, the newly established Galactic Empire would go on to conquer the planet, claiming it on behalf of Palpatine, who had now taken on the title of Emperor. The Imperial war-machine would keep strict control in the turbulent times following the wars, they extensively strip-mined the planet for a mineral known as durasteel, used in the construction of starship hulls.
Behind the scenes
In To the Vanishing Point, the battle in which Rivi-Anu perished was supposed to have taken place on a different world from Mygeeto. However, The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia's authors established in Rivi-Anu's entry that the events of the story took place on Mygeeto.
- Republic Commando: True Colors
- "To the Vanishing Point"—Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Volume 6
- Labyrinth of Evil
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Death Star (Mentioned only)
- Celestia Galactica Photografica
- "Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic"—Star Wars Insider 84
- Star Wars Battlefront II: Prima Official Game Guide
- "Order 66: Destroy All Jedi"—Star Wars Insider 87
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- "Drawn By The Force"—Star Wars Insider 89 (Picture only)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III ("Rivi-Anu")
- The Essential Atlas
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Ki-Adi-Mundi) (Indirect mention only)
- (as "assault on Mygeeto")
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Republic Commando: True Colors
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 3.20 3.21 3.22 3.23 3.24 3.25 3.26 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Death Star
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 "To the Vanishing Point"—Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Volume 6
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare, p. 129
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare, p. 154
- ↑ 10.00 10.01 10.02 10.03 10.04 10.05 10.06 10.07 10.08 10.09 10.10 10.11 10.12 10.13 10.14 Star Wars: Battlefront II
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Star Wars: Battlefront
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Labyrinth of Evil
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 To the Vanishing Point