- "Wipe them out. All of them."
- ―Darth Sidious
The Battle of Naboo was the final conflict of the Trade Federation's invasion of the planet Naboo. The battle was conceived by Queen Padmé Amidala upon returning to her planet, after unsuccessfully pleading with the Galactic Senate for help. The plan would be to use the Gungans and their Grand Army to lure the Trade Federation army away from Theed, the capital city, so Amidala and her security forces could infiltrate the palace and capture Trade Federation Viceroy Nute Gunray. Meanwhile, a team of starfighter pilots would enter orbit in an assault on the Federation command ship, the destruction of which would disable all Federation battle droids on the planet.
When the battle began, the Gungans fought the Federation army away from the city at Great Grass Plains, while the queen and her team made their way to the palace. Once inside, and as the starfighter pilots made their way into orbit after being freed, the Naboo were confronted by the Sith Lord Darth Maul. The queen's Jedi protectors, Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi, fought the Sith Lord throughout the palace while Amidala and her forces made their way to the Viceroy.
By the battle's end, the Federation control ship had been destroyed by Anakin Skywalker, saving the Gungan army from destruction; Amidala and her security personnel captured Gunray; and Darth Maul was defeated and presumed dead after having killed Jinn in lightsaber combat. The battle liberated Naboo from the Federation, led to Kenobi's promotion to Jedi Knight, and convinced the Jedi Council to accept Skywalker for Jedi training.
The Battle of Naboo was ultimately part of a much larger plot. The invasion itself had been orchestrated by Naboo's Senator Sheev Palpatine, who was secretly the Sith Lord Darth Sidious, in a successful effort to be elected Supreme Chancellor. He later engineered the Clone Wars to amass total control over the Galactic Republic so he could transform it into the Galactic Empire and destroy the Jedi Order. During the war, in which Palpatine achieved his goals, Count Dooku remarked that, despite ten years passing between them, the Clone Wars truly began during the Battle of Naboo.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan & Anakin, Part I (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bombad Jedi" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Monster" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Witches of the Mist" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow Warrior" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Plan of Dissent" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brothers" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revenge" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revival" (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 1.32 1.33 1.34 1.35 1.36 1.37 1.38 1.39 1.40 1.41 1.42 1.43 1.44 1.45 1.46 1.47 1.48 1.49 1.50 1.51 1.52 1.53 1.54 1.55 1.56 1.57 1.58 1.59 1.60 1.61 1.62 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ A single MTT can accommodate 112 battle droids
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow Warrior"