- "Wesa free!"
- ―Unidentified Gungan
The Battle of Naboo in the Galactic Civil War was a conflict that began years before the Battle of Yavin and culminated shortly after news of Emperor Palpatine's death reached the planet in 4 ABY.
As part of his efforts to consolidate power and bring sovereign systems under Imperial control, Palpatine sent a garrison force to Naboo, under the pretense that it would be protecting the planet's precious plasma energy resources.
Despite being connected with the Emperor, the planet's rulers were never quite willing to cooperate fully with their Imperial supervisors, and quiet resistance against the local garrison brewed for many years.
The Gungans, who became marginalized during this period and mostly returned to their swamplands, also founded several resistance cells. Despite this, the Gungans and human resistance fighters worked mostly in secret, fearing they were not strong enough to resist the legions stationed on the world.
At some point before the Battle of Yavin, the Naboo rebels established a secret hangar near one of their cities. A Star Tours flight got caught up in an orbital battle between Rebel N-1 starfighters and a fleet of Lucrehulk -class battleships and was led down to this hangar by several rebels.
During the conflict, an Imperial offensive took place that involved several Star Destroyers joining the planet-bound forces.
The main showdownEdit
As it became known that Palpatine had died along with Darth Vader aboard the second Death Star, and that the Rebel Alliance had been victorious against their fleet, countless planets exploited the confusion and disarray amongst Imperial forces to liberate themselves from their oppressive rule. The citizens of Naboo took this opportunity, as well. Despite previous diplomatic behavior, the Naboo and the Gungans banded together to once more oust an oppressive force from their world. Naboo rebels mobilized their N-1 starfighters, while the Gungans contributed Militiagung soldiers to invade the capital.
The Theed Royal Palace was stormed and supporters of the Rebellion made their way through the palace, even up to the roof tops. This portion of the battle did not seem to have caused extensive damage to the exterior of the Palace, based on its appearance immediately afterward. The celebrations didn’t last long, as the local Imperial garrisons struck down the insurrection.
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
- Star Wars: Galaxies
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (First appearance) (Special Edition and DVD)
- Star Wars: Battlefront (Cameo appearances)
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- Secrets of Star Wars 07
- Star Wars Insider 82
- January 22, 2007 - StarWars.com Questions & Answers Episode III Lore -
- The Essential Atlas
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Secrets of Star Wars 07
- ↑ Star Wars Insider 82
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 Star Wars Galaxies
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Star Wars: Battlefront
- ↑ Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
- ↑ The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide