- "They've hit the main reactor! Prepare to evacuate."
- ―Adi Gallia, to a clone naval officer aboard her crippled flagship
A battle broke out near the planet Patitite Pattuna in 21 BBY during the Clone Wars, when Jedi General Adi Gallia's flagship came under attack by a Confederate Navy fleet led by General Grievous. Gallia and her clone troopers of the 91st Reconnaissance Corps, who had been bound for Galactic Republic space, were caught by surprise by the Separatists, and the main reactor of their Star Destroyer was quickly disabled. Grievous then took a boarding party of battle droids aboard the Republic warship to capture Gallia. While nonessential personnel evacuated from her cruiser via LAAT/i gunships amidst ongoing starfighter dogfights, Gallia engaged Grievous in lightsaber combat, but she was overwhelmed and taken prisoner. Her Star Destroyer, meanwhile, fell to turbolaser fire from the enemy fleet. The Republic droids C-3PO and R2-D2, who had been aboard Gallia's flagship, managed to escape to Patitite Pattuna aboard a BTL-B Y-wing starfighter. Jedi Master Plo Koon later launched a rescue mission to free Gallia from custody aboard Grievous's flagship.
- "You know these droids, Commander Wolffe?"
"Yes, sir. We transported them to Master Gallia's ship after we left the planet Aleen."
- ―Plo Koon and Wolffe, on C-3PO and R2-D2
In 21 BBY, the second year of the Clone Wars, Jedi General Adi Gallia and her flagship, a Venator-class Star Destroyer, set course to return to Galactic Republic space after assisting with a relief effort on the groundquake-devastated planet Aleen. Before leaving Aleen, Gallia received passengers in the form of protocol droid C-3PO and astromech droid R2-D2, who had been involved in the relief efforts and were heading home to Senator Padmé Amidala on the galactic capital of Coruscant. The two droids were transported to Gallia's cruiser by Clone Commander CC-3636, nicknamed "Wolffe," of the 104th Battalion's Wolfpack squad. While passing through the Patitite Pattuna system near the neutral world Patitite Pattuna, Gallia's flagship was intercepted by General Grievous of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, who had located the Republic warship. With a history of targeting members of the Jedi High Council such as Gallia, Grievous launched an ambush with a fleet from the Confederate Navy in the hopes of capturing Gallia, with whom he had previously clashed at Saleucami.
- "Avoid that the other way!"
- ―C-3PO, to R2-D2, while escaping from Adi Gallia's flagship
Grievous bore down on Gallia's Star Destroyer with a pair of Munificent-class star frigates and his own Providence-class carrier/destroyer. Caught unprepared and outnumbered, the Republic cruiser was dealt a serious blow by the enemy battleships when its main reactor was crippled by heavy turbolaser fire. From the bridge of her embattled ship, Gallia ordered a clone naval officer for their troops, the clone troopers of the Grand Army of the Republic's 91st Reconnaissance Corps, to begin evacuating from the crippled cruiser. Launching from the ship's hangar, clone trooper pilots flew ARC-170 starfighters and BTL-B Y-wing starfighters into battle against the Separatist flotilla, targeting squadrons of Vulture droid starfighters that had been launched by the enemy fleet. Other clone pilots manned LAAT/i gunships to assist in the evacuation of the 91st troops, with the ship's clone flight crew overseeing launches.
Moving in to capture Gallia, Grievous brought a boarding party of battle droids aboard the Jedi Master's flagship while his frigates and destroyer continued to blast away at the cruiser. As nonessential personnel continued to evacuate, Gallia and others of her men met Grievous and his B1 battle droids in one of the ship's hallways to defend their transport, with the clone troopers exchanging the droids' blaster fire while Gallia dueled Grievous in lightsaber combat. As the battle droids overwhelmed the Republic troops and dealt a number of casualties, so did Gallia lose ground to Grievous, eventually being kicked backward toward an adjacent wall by the cyborg general. In the midst of the battle, C-3PO and R2-D2—searching for an escape pod—were able to commandeer a BTL-B Y-wing starfighter that had been assigned to the astromech droid R5-L26. Launching in the starfighter with C-3PO, R2-D2 piloted their ship out of the cruiser's hangar and escaped alongside other starfighters. Thanks to his extensive experience as the astromech companion to Jedi General Anakin Skywalker, R2-D2 was able to pilot the starfighter safely through the enemy laser fire, and he even destroyed a Vulture droid starfighter.
As her flagship began to break apart, Gallia was taken prisoner by Grievous and was brought aboard his Providence-class carrier/destroyer. The abandoned cruiser, meanwhile, was blasted apart by the Separatist fleet. C-3PO and R2-D2 were pursued in their starfighter by a Vulture droid to the skies of Patitite Pattuna, where the droid starfighter damaged their ship's reactor. R2-D2 was forced to crash-land the starfighter on the world's surface, though not before circling around and eliminating the pursuant Vulture droid.
- "Thanks for the rescue, Master Plo!"
- ―Adi Gallia, after being rescued by Plo Koon and the 104th Battalion
With Gallia's capture and the destruction of her flagship, the battle resulted in a Confederate victory. A prisoner of Grievous, Gallia was handcuffed and held in custody aboard the bridge of the general's destroyer. Eventually, Jedi Master Plo Koon received word of Gallia's capture and mounted an operation with Commander Wolffe and the 104th Battalion to rescue her. Meanwhile, C-3PO and R2-D2, having crash-landed on Patitite Pattuna, encountered the world's small but aggressive inhabitants, the Patitites. The two droids soon found themselves enveloped in a series of adventures that took them to the planet Balnab, the Weequay pirate ship Marauder, and, finally, Grievous's destroyer just as the battleship came under attack by Koon and his rescue fleet of Star Destroyers.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Adi Gallia has tangled with General Grievous on more than one occasion. Their swords crossed during the rescue of Eeth Koth, and again after a supply mission to Aleen."
- ―Adi Gallia's Encyclopedia entry first mentions the battle
The battle at Patitite Pattuna was featured in "Nomad Droids," an episode of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series' fourth season that aired on October 14, 2011. Adi Gallia's duel with General Grievous, one of the battle's main elements, was first mentioned prior to then in Gallia's entry in the StarWars.com Encyclopedia.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nomad Droids" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Gathering" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.27
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Magazine 9
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.29 (Indirect mention only)
- "10 Amazing Moments from Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Season Four"—Star Wars Insider 134
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Episode Guide
- (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mercy Mission"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 3.20 3.21 3.22 3.23 3.24 3.25 3.26 3.27 3.28 3.29 3.30 3.31 3.32 3.33 3.34 3.35 3.36 3.37 3.38 3.39 3.40 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nomad Droids"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 7 (KAT1–2, King Katuunko; HEA1, Z-95 Headhunter)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Deserter"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Grievous Intrigue"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.27