- "So much for the Jedi escort!'"
- ―General Grievous
A battle took place in 22 BBY in the Ryndellia system. A Galactic Republic medical convoy consisting of several Pelta-class frigates and a Venator-class Star Destroyer escort and commanded by clone troopers and Jedi was passing through the Ryndellia system. The convoy was ambushed by the Confederate Subjugator-class heavy cruiser Malevolence, under the command of General Grievous. The Confederate warship eliminated the Republic transports with its laser guns and neutralized the power of the final fleeing frigate with its ion cannons. On Confederate Head of State Count Dooku's orders, the Malevolence headed to attack a Republic medical center in the Outer Rim that was treating over 60,000 wounded Republic clones.
- "Now the Republic will learn of our ion cannon!" (pointed silence)
"Your failure is most unfortunate. I will have to discuss this with my master."
- ―Grievous and Count Dooku, shortly after Grievous' failure to stop a Republic ship from fleeing
In 22 BBY during the Clone Wars, the Confederacy of Independent Systems built a superweapon, the Subjugator-class heavy cruiser Malevolence, that was capable of defeating numerous Galactic Republic fleets at a time with its ion cannons. The cannons neutralized the power of their targets, leaving the quarries vulnerable to laser fire from the Malevolence without the ability to use deflector shields. Under the command of General Grievous, the Malevolence eliminated several Republic task forces, leaving no survivors to spread the news of the warship or its unforeseen ion cannons. Because its origins and methods of attack were unknown to the Republic, the Malevolence was dubbed the "mystery weapon." The random targets did not hint at a pattern, and the unpredictability of future targets spread fear across the citizens of the Republic.
After Jedi General Plo Koon tracked the Malevolence to the Abregado system, his fleet of several Venator-class Star Destroyers was attacked by the warship's ion cannons on Grievous's order. The Confederate Head of State Count Dooku was aboard the warship and ordered the pods to be eliminated, not intending to allow the Republic to learn of the warship and its weapons. However, Koon and several clone troopers were rescued by Jedi General Anakin Skywalker and his Padawan, Jedi Commander Ahsoka Tano, and were able to escape the Malevolence, taking the knowledge of the warship to the Republic. Dooku considered the battle to be a defeat, and his trust in Grievous was diminished, while Grievous himself resolved to ambush other Republic forces.
- "Target those escape pods. I have a reputation to uphold!"
- ―General Grievous
A Republic medical convoy, consisting of several Pelta-class frigates as well as a Venator-class Star Destroyer escort, was passing through the Ryndellia system when it was intercepted by General Grievous and the Malevolence near the planet Ryndellia. The warship attacked the cruiser and two of the frigates with its numerous turbolaser cannons, while the last frigate fled. Noticing this, Grievous ordered the ship's ion cannons to be fired at the frigate. The clone troopers piloting the vessel attempted to jump to hyperspace but were unable to set the coordinates in time to do so. The frigate's power was neutralized by the ion cannons, and the Malevolence directed laser fire at it. When a B1 battle droid commented on his inability to target anything, Grievous smashed the droid aside.
Dooku was watching the cyborg General's progress through a holotransmission and was pleased that the medical convoy had been eliminated. The Sith Lord had recently met with his Sith Master and had learned of the Republic's secret Outer Rim medical center, which was treating over 60,000 wounded clones. Dooku assigned the medical center as the Malevolence's new target, and the assignment boosted Grievous's confidence, as it showed that the Count had not completely lost his faith in the General since his recent setback at Abregado. As the damaged frigate deployed several escape pods, Grievous ordered the pods to be targeted.
- "Skywalker! The enemy has attacked our convoy of medical transports near Ryndellia."
"Medical transports? Only General Grievous would go after clones who can't fight back."
"The Ryndellia system… Near Naboo? Isn't that where our medical base is? I bet that will be his next target."
- ―Admiral Wullf Yularen, Ahsoka Tano, and Anakin Skywalker
Following Dooku's orders, the Malevolence jumped to hyperspace and headed for the medical center. General Anakin Skywalker received a report from Admiral Wullf Yularen of the medical convoy's destruction in the Ryndellia system, and the Jedi deduced that Grievous was heading for the medical station. As Skywalker had already planned a counterattack on the Malevolence, he intended to intercept the warship before it could attack the medical base. Skywalker led Shadow Squadron in recently acquired BTL-B Y-wing starfighters on a shortcut through the Kaliida Nebula, and was accompanied by his Padawan, Ahsoka Tano, as well as General Plo Koon. Admiral Yularen warned the Kaminoan Nala Se—the medical station's administrator—of the impending danger, and the station began evacuations of its patients.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow of Malevolence" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain" (Appears in flashback(s))
- "Star Wars PocketModel TCG - Clone Wars" (Card: ) (First pictured)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Official Episode Guide: Season 1
- The Sounds of Star Wars (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Incredible Vehicles (Picture only)
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures – "Card Assault" (Card: Shadow of Malevolence) (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 3.20 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow of Malevolence"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destroy Malevolence"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Essential Reader's Companion
- ↑ The Clone Wars: Shakedown
- ↑ HoloNet News — A Galaxy Divided
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow of Malevolence" (Decoded)
- ↑ The Clone Wars: Procedure