|Battle of the Circarpous system|
The Battle of the Circarpous system was a series of raids conducted by Rebel forces from the Mon Calamari Star Cruiser Independence that resulted in the destruction of the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Intrepid.
The Intrepid was witness when the Rebel Alliance freighter Phoenix stole some communications satellites from the Imperial base on Orron III and was unable to stop them. The next week the Intrepid attempted to destroy the Phoenix while it awaited the arrival of the Mon Calamari Star Cruiser Maximus. The Imperial attack was interrupted by Keyan Farlander in an R-22 Spearhead who held off the Imperial fighters until the Maximus arrived. Shortly after the Maximus's arrival, the Intrepid fled leading the Rebels to conclude that it was suffering from a shortage of pilots or starfighters. Also, the Intrepid was the last 'witness' of the transmission of the Death Star plans to Rebel hands. Eventually the Alliance saw the opportunity when the Intrepid's hyperdrive was damaged in an accidental collision with an EF76 Nebulon-B escort frigate, leaving the ship stranded in the Circarpous Major system.
Keyan Farlander flew an X-wing, escorted by two R-22 Spearheads, in a raid against freighters from Kiam group which were delivering parts to repair the hyperdrive. Despite the Intrepid launching TIEs against the attacking Rebels, the freighters with the hyperdrive parts were destroyed before they were able to make the delivery.
With the Intrepid still stranded and low on fighters, the Empire sent three CR90 corvettes from Viper group and several Assault Gunboats to reinforce it until repairs could be made. The Rebels decided to destroy the reinforcements before they could get close to the Intrepid. Farlander led a group of Y-wings, escorted by Ernek Marskan in an X-wing, in the mission. Despite sending TIE/sa bombers to assist the incoming ships, the Intrepid could do little but watch as its reinforcements were destroyed by the Rebels.
The Intrepid was now laid defenseless, apart from the last few remaining TIE pilots. The Alliance decided that the time for a major attack had come. Two X-wings from Red Squadron, flown by Keyan Farlander and Sunnar Jan-lo, were tasked with shooting Intrepid's ISD-72x deflector shield generator domes ahead of a heavy torpedo bombardment from Blue Squadron's Y-wings. Two R-22s from Gold Squadron would engage the TIE defenses and protect the other Rebel craft. Samuel Raider and Ernek Marskan were amongst the Rebel pilots who participated in the battle. Though the Rebels lost some of their fighters, the bombardment proved too much and the Intrepid was eventually destroyed. A patrol of Assault Gunboats arrived too late to save the Intrepid and the Rebels escaped into hyperspace.
The battle was the first successful destruction of a Star Destroyer due to a Rebel frontal assault.
- Star Wars: X-Wing (First appearance)
- X-Wing: The Official Strategy Guide
- X-wing Collector's CD-ROM: The Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars Galaxy Series 3
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 Star Wars: X-Wing
- ↑ Han Solo is personally recruited by Raymus Antilles after the Rebels free him from a Star Destroyer's tractor beam during the Raid at Corellia, as she wants his help investigating the rumors and info that the Rebels have gathered during the Ambush in the Cron Drift and Leia's conversation with Lord Tion.
- ↑ A Star Destroyer is destroyed at the Raid above Corellia, and since the Intrepid was the first Star Destroyer eliminated by Rebels (discounting game mechanics), the Raid must follow the Circarpous system conflict.