- "The disturbance is located at the edge of your Unknown Regions. It appears to be centered on a planet named Batuu."
- ―Emperor Palpatine, to Grand Admiral Thrawn
Batuu was a remote outpost planet on the edge of the galaxy's Outer Rim Territories, one that was often used as a last stop before entering Wild Space. The outpost dated back to the years prior to the use of hyperspace in the galaxy.
Batuu was a temperate planet, one covered with forests and mountains, that was located on the edge of the galaxy's Outer Rim Territories. The planet was known for its many towering petrified trees, with those spires becoming landmarks for settlers. The world was the location of Black Spire Outpost that became a haven for those looking to avoid attracting too much attention to themselves.
Batuu was a prominent trade post in the time before the invention of hyperspace travel. It was used as a busy crossroads for those who traveled on sub-lightspeed trade routes. However, after hyperspace routes became the dominant form of transportation, the planet was bypassed by most travelers. It became a port for smugglers, rogue traders, and adventurers who traveled from the galactic frontier to unknown space.
Sometime after the Battle of Atollon, Emperor Palpatine sensed a disturbance in the Force that appeared to be centered on Batuu. In response, Palpatine sent his Sith apprentice, Darth Vader and Grand Admiral Thrawn to deal with the disturbance.
In the years after the Galactic Civil War, it was a safe haven for those looking to hide from the First Order. At one point both the Resistance and the First Order had a presence at the planet's outpost.
Behind the scenesEdit
Disney CEO Robert Iger first announced at the D23 Expo on August 15, 2015 that the company would be building a Star Wars-themed land in Disneyland Park at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California and in Disney's Hollywood Studios at the Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. It was also announced that the lands' setting would be an outpost on a yet-to-be-seen planet on the edge of the Outer Rim Territories, just before Wild Space.
Batuu's landscape of mountains and rock spires came about as a necessity for the Disneyland installation of Galaxy's Edge, which required the re-routing of the Disneyland Railroad and the Rivers of America in Frontierland. The reworked northern bend of the river features rocky cliffs, trees and waterfalls that block views of the trading post to visitors riding the various vehicles that travel along the river. In turn, Batuu's mountains and spires become an extended background element for the river, allowing for Galaxy's Edge and Frontierland to better function as neighbors.
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (First appearance)
- (First identified as Batuu)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Savvas, George (April 15, 2017). Disney Parks Imagineers and Lucasfilm Share Details of Their Collaboration on Star Wars-Themed Lands. Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved on April 18, 2017.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Glover, Erin (August 15, 2015). Star Wars-Themed Lands Coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts. Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved on April 18, 2017.