- "I see Ben Quadinaros from the Tund system."
Ben Quadinaros was a Toong Podracer pilot who had very little actual racing experience when he participated in the Boonta Eve Classic that saw the liberation of the slave boy Anakin Skywalker. Piloting a BT310 quadra-Podracer, Quadinaros never left the starting grid due to his pod stalling. A short while later, his power coupling failed, causing his engine's energy binders to deactivate. This caused the hapless Toong's engines to spiral away from the cockpit and fly off and explode on various parts of the Mos Espa Grand Arena. Despite this loss, Quadinaros continued to Podrace up to ten years later, during the time of the Clone Wars.
- "Oh, there goes Quadinaros' power coupling!"
- ―Fode, after Quadinaros' Podracer explodes
A timid Toong, Ben Quadinaros was a Podracer pilot from Tund, a hidden world located in the mysterious Tund system. Considered to be a rookie pilot, Quadinaros nevertheless joined the Boonta Eve Classic Podrace that took place during the final decades of the Galactic Republic. Piloting a BT310 quadra-Podracer that featured four separate engines, as opposed to the more common two engine setup, Quadinaros prepared for the race in a hangar located at the Mos Espa Grand Arena, where the Boonta was to be held. Quadinaros wandered the hangar for a brief time before setting off to move his Podracer onto the starting grid's back row. As the pilots prepared for the race, the Troig race commentators Fode and Beed conducted the opening ceremonies, introducing the pilots, including Quadinaros, to the cheering audiences.
Eventually, the race's host, the crime lord Jabba the Hutt, arrived in his personal viewing box, and waved the start of the race. However, Quadinaros' pod failed to ignite its engines, leaving the Toong stuck on the starting grid. He wasn't alone, however, as the Human pilot Anakin Skywalker also stalled. However, Skywalker was able to fix his Podracer and fly onto the track, while Quadinaros was left behind with a crew of pit droids.
When the droids' work was done, they left the grid and Quadinaros tried to ignite his Podracer a second time. Instead of zooming off of the grid to join the race, the Toong's power coupling failed, which caused the energy binders that held the engines together to deactivate and cause the engines to rip off of the cockpit and fly into various walls and structures inside the arena. Quadinaros' cockpit slowly descended to the ground as the other competitors zoomed by into the second lap. The race was ultimately won by Skywalker.
Quadinaros continued to race up to 19 BBY while still utilizing a BT310 quadra-Podracer. During this time, posters advertised a race between Quadinaros and the notorious Dug pilot Sebulba, who had since become the sport's greatest rivalry. One such poster was owned by Skywalker, who by this time was a Jedi Knight.
Personality and traitsEdit
Quadinaros was a timid Toong who was only a novice at Podracing. Despite his short comings, and his fear of the dangerous Boonta Classic, Quadinaros managed to overcome his fears for a short time by entering the Boonta. However, when his Podracer malfunctioned, he could only express frustration on his wasted effort. However, despite the setback, Quadinaros continued to Podrace, and eventually ended up in a match with Sebulba.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "The sport's greatest rivalry! Quadinaros vs Sebulba. We'll sell you the whole seat but you'll only need the edge!!!"
- ―The poster from The Rise of Clovis
Ben Quadinaros was created for the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, which was written and directed by George Lucas. Conceptual art for the character was created by designers Terryl Whitlatch and Iain McCaig, which specified the details of Quadniaros' anatomy, clothing, and range of movement. Quadinaros later appeared on a poster in the television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, in the episode "Friends and Enemies". The poster was designed by Kilian Plunkett.
Ben Quadinaros also made cameo appearances in several LEGO Star Wars animated films including the 2015 Droid Tales episodes "Exit from Endor" and "Gambit on Geonosis", and the 2016 The Freemaker Adventures episode "Race on Tatooine."
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Rise of Clovis" (Appears on poster)
- Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow (Appears on poster)
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Holocrons of Fate" (Appears on poster)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Race on Tatooine"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Darth Vader: Sith Lord (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
- (Misspelled as Ben Quadiaros)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7
- ↑ Star Wars: Star Pilot
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ According to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas, the events within the Star Wars: The Clone Wars story arc that began with the episode "The Rise of Clovis", such as an invasion of Scipio, are dated to 19 BBY.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Rise of Clovis"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide