- "We live in dangerous times. Where would you send them? Training rooms inside the Temple?"
- ―Master Benn, speaking to Matare about the problems Padawans faced on Tython
Benn was a male Human Jedi Master who served the Jedi Order and the Galactic Republic during the Cold War between the Republic and the Sith Empire. He was one of the many Jedi who returned to Tython, the Jedi homeworld planet, to rebuild the Order at the conclusion of the Great Galactic War fought against the Sith Empire. While on the planet, Master Benn was frequently at the Masters' Retreat, a Jedi Enclave located near the Jedi Temple on Tython. Around the year 3643 BBY, a savage native species known as the Flesh Raiders began to attack Jedi and others in the Gnarls and other regions near the Jedi Temple. Despite the dangers, Master Benn maintained that the Jedi Padawans being taught on Tython should still be given training outside of the Temple's training rooms.
- "Our initiates must learn to recognize darkness—and danger."
- ―Master Benn, speaking about Jedi Padawans on Tython
A Force-sensitive male Human, Benn was trained in the ways of the Force by the Jedi Order, a group of Force using individuals who served the Galactic Republic as peacekeepers. Eventually, Benn attained the rank of Jedi Master. Following the Great Galactic War fought between the Republic and the Sith Empire, Master Benn and many other Jedi returned to the ancestral Jedi homeworld of Tython to help rebuild the Order's losses in the war. During the Jedi Order's period of rebuilding, which occurred during the Cold War between the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic, Master Benn stayed at the Masters' Retreat, a Jedi Enclave near the Jedi Temple located on the planet. Around the year 3643 BBY, an indigenous species of violent savages known as the Flesh Raiders became increasingly hostile and began to attack Jedi and other individuals in the vicinity of the Jedi Temple. During the hostilities with the Flesh Raiders, Master Benn spoke with a Zabrak Jedi named Matare who believed that the region of Tython known as the Gnarls had become too dangerous for Jedi Padawans to train in. Master Benn convinced Matare that the Padawans needed to be taught to identify danger, but Matare still maintained that the Jedi could only afford a certain amount of losses.
Personality and traitsEdit
As evidenced by his conversation with Matare, Master Benn believed that Jedi Padawans training on Tython during the Flesh Raider attacks should not be secluded in the safety of the Jedi Temple's training rooms, but that they should allow them the opportunity to learn how to discern both darkness and dangerous situations. Master Benn was sensitive to the Force like all other Jedi. He had blue-gray eyes, light brown hair, and fair skin. While on Tython, Master Benn wore brown colored robes and carried a lightsaber, the traditional weapon of the Jedi Order.
Behind the scenesEdit
Master Benn first appears in Star Wars: The Old Republic, a 2011 MMORPG produced by BioWare. In the game, Benn appears as a character on the planet Tython in the Masters' Retreat, the starting area for players that choose the Jedi Knight or Jedi Consular class. In the game, Benn has a conversation with a Jedi named Matare, which the player can observe and hear, but not be a part of. The conversation includes a line of dialogue where Matare called Benn "Master," but Matare is the same level and wears the same clothes as Benn. In any event, the game does not specify whether Benn was Matare's Jedi Master.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Star Wars: The Old Republic
- ↑ Using comments and information from Star Wars: The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2, The Last Battle of Colonel Jace Malcom, and The Old Republic: Annihilation, it is possible to place the events of the Prologue and Act I for the Jedi Knight, Smuggler, and Trooper classes in Star Wars: The Old Republic in 3643 BBY, the general events of Act II in 3642 BBY, and the events of Act III for all classes in 3641 BBY.